Lightroom Classic: Wrong image(s) displayed in Library module's filmstrip after Rename Photo(s) operation

  • 1
  • Problem
  • Updated 7 months ago
  • (Edited)
Merged

This conversation has been merged. Please reference the main conversation: Lightroom Classic: Library Module - grid and strip no longer synchronized

I have been using Lightroom CC (now Classic) for years and have always been plagued with this problem in my workflow. Surely, I have thought, someone else must have experienced the same issue, reported it and a fix will be forthcoming shortly. Alas, none of this seems true.

I want my photos named for the date and sequence that they were taken. I also don't want to keep all of the photos that I take. My rename & cull process is iterative using the Library module. First I rename all of my photos, then I cull, rename and repeat. Typically, I work in Loupe mode.

The problem is, after these rename operations, some of the thumbnails in the filmstrip are wrong! That is, they reflect different images. This is really bad in my workflow as it can cause me to remove photos that I did not intend to!

Perhaps the problem stems from the fact that, because of the sequenced rename operation, some kept images assume the names (sequence numbers) of some removed images. Regardless, this is certainly a bug. After a rename operation, thumbnails in the filmstrip should properly reflect the images that they are supposed to represent.

Eventually, things get back in sync. Unfortunately, I have no idea what operations it takes to do so. Of course, it should just happen automatically. I have tried Save Metadata and Synchronize Folder operations but they don't always work.

Please help. I am tired of culling good images with the bad.
Photo of ross

ross

  • 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 7 months ago

  • 1
Photo of Rick Spaulding

Rick Spaulding, Champion

  • 564 Posts
  • 216 Reply Likes
I wasn't able to reproduce the behavior you describe but I'd like to make a suggestion. 

As a theater and live event photographer I often have to sort thousands of images for each job. I do my culling and save my renaming for the final step. 

Or, save your preferred naming convention for the final step and use a made up name for the first few passes. Something like "cull-001.jpg" When all your images are sorted then give them the names you prefer.

Does that help?
Photo of ross

ross

  • 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
> ... unable to reproduce ...
That is disturbing. I wish I had trouble reproducing it. I have never been able to avoid it - for years.

> ... final step ...
I have tried this but, sigh, there always seems to be a step (or two, or three, ...) that comes along after that final step. Anyway, when is it okay for the filmstrip to show the wrong images? I think never - not even after a final step.

> does that help?
Thanks for trying but no.
Photo of Rick Spaulding

Rick Spaulding, Champion

  • 564 Posts
  • 216 Reply Likes
I'll ask for others advice and see what I can come up with.
Photo of ross

ross

  • 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I don't know if it matters but, on Import, I never Copy my pictures into Lightroom - I always Add them in place.
Photo of ross

ross

  • 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I have found that if I really want to make sure that I am culling the image that I think I am, rejecting it from the Develop module seems to be safer. Unfortunately, this means that I lose the Compare and Survey mode features from the Library module. Ugh.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.