Western Digital cable? It's name please?

  • 2
  • Question
  • Updated 1 year ago
I have a Western Digital external hard-drive.  The model is called My Passport.  Some techie Dude on here once gave me the name of the cable for that drive.  If you would/could do that again I would appreciate it.  I have been looking on Amazon for hours and all I seem to find is chargers for phones . . .   Thanks.
Photo of Dean Welsh

Dean Welsh

  • 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • Frustrated

Posted 1 year ago

  • 2
Photo of Adam Dr.

Adam Dr.

  • 49 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Photo of Jerry Syder

Jerry Syder

  • 455 Posts
  • 205 Reply Likes
Photo of Richard Savage

Richard Savage

  • 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Not enough information to help you., because it depends on its age, its version (e.g if its for Windows or Mac) and its edition (Standard, Elite, Studio) to be able to say definitively whichj cable it needs. 

For the older versions, there were 3 Windows Editions, these came with USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 ports, and for the 3 Mac Editions, they came with FireWire 400, FireWire 800 and USB 2.0 ports, so depending on the case you'll need either a USB 2.0, USB 3.0, or a Firewire data cable.

However, WD's nwer kit requires newer types of cables, such as
  • USB 3.0 cable
  • USB-C to USB Micro-B cable
  • USB-A to USB Micro-B cable (compatible with USB 2.0)
Currently listed on Western Digital site at https://www.wd.com/en-gb/products/portable-storage.html  are 13 different drives.

To know exactly what cable you need, you wrill need to google the technical specs for your specific model. Hope this helps.

Photo of Steve Lehman

Steve Lehman

  • 901 Posts
  • 98 Reply Likes
Hey there, 

I had this question before and answered it.  I believe Adam DR and Jerry Snyder have it but I cannot be certain until I see the model number because Western Digital drives have a different connector. 

Last time, this guy showed a picture of his plugin on the drive.  Dean, take a picture of it.  

Steve Lehman, mcse