Photoshop: A "Make Background Transparent" button, or a "Fill Background With Single Color" button

  • 1
  • Idea
  • Updated 8 years ago
  • (Edited)
I have a file (.jpg, .gif, or .png) where the image I want is on a white background. What I *really* *want* is:
1) Ideally to be able to change the background to be transparent, OR

2) Alternatively to be able to fill the background that's around the outside of the image (currently white) with whatever color I want: black, blue, orange -- whatever color the environment is that I want this image to appear on.

If your tool could do *either* of these (ideally the first one) that would be *fantastic*.
Thanks for all you do!
Photo of Dana Miles

Dana Miles

  • 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 8 years ago

  • 1
Photo of Chris Cox

Chris Cox

  • 20280 Posts
  • 838 Reply Likes
Photoshop can do both of those, but it's not going to be a one button process because there are too many things that need user input. A "make white transparent" operation would have problems if there is white inside your object. Same goes with a global color replacement. That's one of the reasons why green-screen/blue-screen techniques use a color that won't appear in the object being extracted from the background.

And that's why Photoshop has several options for doing operations like those.

1) Background Eraser tool, Select Color Range and delete, Layer masks, etc.

2) Replace Color adjustment, Color Replacement Brush, Select Color Range and adjustments, any adjustment and a layer mask, etc.
Photo of christoph pfaffenbichler

christoph pfaffenbichler, Champion

  • 1267 Posts
  • 190 Reply Likes
And while it may not suffice for many photographs the Quick Selection Tool in combination with Refine Edge might be helpful.

An aside: If the images you work with should be clipped or otherwise edited images from stock image websites an interesting question might be: Why do people clip the objects but then offer flattened versions thereof, thus (at least occasionally) forcing customers to clip again and deteriorate the edges further?