Lightroom 3: Using adjustment brush means file can't save as jpeg

  • 1
  • Problem
  • Updated 6 years ago
  • Solved
  • (Edited)
I'm using a trial version of Lightroom3. If I make an adjustment with the Adjustment Brush (K) and then export that image as a Tiff, when I open the image in Photoshop (CS2) I am not able to save it further as a jpeg. It always throws up a 'Program Error' message. I can only save as Tiff. I'm using a Mac with 10.5.8.

Images processed in the same way without using the adjustment brush don't present this problem.

Colin
Photo of Colin Dutton

Colin Dutton

  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 7 years ago

  • 1
Photo of Victoria Bampton - Lightroom Queen

Victoria Bampton - Lightroom Queen, Champion

  • 4427 Posts
  • 1637 Reply Likes
It's a bug in CS2, so I'm afraid it'll never be fixed. CS2's falling over some perfectly legitimate metadata.

There's a list of the main workarounds here: http://www.lightroomqueen.com/2009/04...
Photo of Colin Dutton

Colin Dutton

  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks for the reply Victoria. I've installed the wrangler plug-in. Problem solved until I upgrade PS. Thanks again.
Photo of MICHAEL BAILEY

MICHAEL BAILEY

  • 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
THis should not have been closed as a bug in CS2. The very same error occurs with PS7 and CS5. It seems to be a mangled EXIF header.

Mike Bailey
Photo of Chris Cox

Chris Cox

  • 20280 Posts
  • 818 Reply Likes
Hmm, I thought that was fixed in a Lightroom dot release (they were writing really malformed metadata).

Photoshop updated it's metadata code to try and avoid the error, but I'm not sure when that fix went in.
Photo of MICHAEL BAILEY

MICHAEL BAILEY

  • 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I opened a separate bug, topic, which I also answered. Thank you for your reply here too. I know I can work around this by creating a new document and copying and pasting the image with the malformed EXIF header into the new document, but I normally want to keep the basic EXIF information that's generated by the camera(s), so this is still a problem.

Originally when I saw this problem, it must have included an earlier version of CS5. I see that version 12.0.4, both x32 and x64 versions handle the problem and can save such a tiff as a jpeg. However, when the same tiff is saved with CS5, and then reopened in CS2 the problem persists.

Basicially this means the problem wtih Lightroom version 4.11 has not been fixed, but it is good in a way to get confirmation that the problem exists and is known by the programmers.

Mike