Lightroom Classic: Unable to upload to Flickr: "Can't update this collection. An internal error has occurred: the character '>' was expected."

  • 2
  • Problem
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • (Edited)
Suddenly unable to upload to Flickr, I get the error message: "Can't update this collection. An internal error has occurred: the character '>' was expected." - The upload stopped working in the middle of uploading 30+ images. I am using the latest version of Lightroom (8.3.1) I have tried re-booting and re-authenticating, and other Flickr connections. None work.
Photo of Gary Allman

Gary Allman

  • 5 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes

Posted 1 year ago

  • 2
Photo of G0apher

G0apher, Employee

  • 107 Posts
  • 28 Reply Likes
Hi Gary, Are you still facing this problem? Could you post a screenshot of the error dialog? Thanks.
Photo of Gary Allman

Gary Allman

  • 5 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Thanks for the response. I re-tried the upload this morning, and I was able to upload around ten images before the error reoccured. 




Photo of Gary Allman

Gary Allman

  • 5 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Update. Following the above error message, I re-tried the upload and everything uploaded as expected. This is looking like a Flickr problem to me.

Photo of John R. Ellis

John R. Ellis, Champion

  • 5109 Posts
  • 1445 Reply Likes
Most likely this is flakiness on Flickr's side -- their new owners (Smugmug) are completing a massive migration of Flickr to Amazon's servers.  Another person has reported the same error message in the last 24 hours: 
https://www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157691537882093/page21/#reply72157708896591322

Flickr has been unreliable since former owner Yahoo started its death spiral years ago and then got bought by Verizon.  The new owners seem sincere in trying to improve the service and its reputation, but I suspect they have a huge mess to clean up.

WIth most mysterious Flickr problems, you often just have to wait it out for a few days.  You might get some help if you post on the Flickr Help forums.   

You could also try this third-party plug-in: 
http://regex.info/blog/lightroom-goodies/flickr
The author maintains it more actively than Adobe maintains the built-in plugin, and it usually gives more perspicuous, actionable error messages when Flakr is acting up.
Photo of Henning Metzlaff

Henning Metzlaff

  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I have experienced the same problem with Lightroom Classic 9.2.1. and the Adobe flickr plugin. After a lot of try and error I found out that it has something to do with the size of the photo. I tried to upload some 55 MP colour photos (original is tif with 152 MB). I alway received the message "... the character '>' was expected ...".
After I reduced the same files to about 20 MP (40MB) everything was fine. No more messages.