Problems with special danish characters since LR 3.4 update

  • 1
  • Problem
  • Updated 7 years ago
After the Lightroom 3.4 update I have been having problems with UTF-8, special danish characters such as øæå, ØÆÅ. I am using the Coppermine Gallery and Lightroom. Before LR 3.4 I entered description, title, keywords etc. in LR exported and uploaded to Coppermine.... no problem. After the the LR 3.4 update the special danish characters doesn't not come out right. I have previously been informed that in the new LR 3.4 version LR is utilizing proper UTF, EXIF, META whatever (don't remember).... Coppermine is also using UTF-8 as standard and recommended. So where lays the problem. I am guessing LR and therefore posted here...please help ! ;-)
Photo of Michael Barrett Boesen

Michael Barrett Boesen

  • 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • frustrated

Posted 7 years ago

  • 1
Photo of Benjamin Warde

Benjamin Warde, Employee

  • 483 Posts
  • 74 Reply Likes
I'm not seeing this problem. My steps:

1. Select a raw file in the Library module in Lightroom.
2. In the Caption field in the Metadata panel, enter "øæå, ØÆÅ"
3. Export the file as a full sized JPEG to the desktop.
4. View the exported JPEG in Bridge.

Result: The caption displays correctly as "øæå, ØÆÅ"

If this isn't working for you, could you be more specific about your steps? Also, could you try a workflow that eliminates Coppermine, so that we can be sure that the problem lies with Lightroom? And I'd suggest updating to 3.4.1 if you haven't already. Lastly, what operating system are you using?

Thanks,
Ben
Photo of Michael Barrett Boesen

Michael Barrett Boesen

  • 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Forgot your last question... working in Windows, boths Windows 7, xp and Vista
Photo of Beat Gossweiler

Beat Gossweiler

  • 238 Posts
  • 38 Reply Likes
Ben,

I already suggested in this thread over at the U2U forum to check the image in ExifTool, and the results seemed to be OK.

So it seems to be an issue with Coppermine or between LR (maybe tagging, interpreting tagging) and Coppermine.

Beat
Photo of Michael Barrett Boesen

Michael Barrett Boesen

  • 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Morning guys

Yes that is right, Beat, but another one suggested that I tried in this forum as well.

Ben, I have now tried what you suggested and it seems that the problem most be Coppermine, though it really puzzles me that it worked fine in LR 3.3

I made an images and entered øæå... and it is fine i Bridge, but not in Coppermine. The really weird thing is that I tried ÆØÅ.øæå and the only thing in Coppermine was the "."... If I added text before, then the øæå - in weird forms was imported...

I will revert to Coppermine and see if they have a solution....

Again can you explain what is different from LR 3.3 and 3.4.x. Maybe that will help the Coppermine programmers

Thanks for your time
Photo of Beat Gossweiler

Beat Gossweiler

  • 238 Posts
  • 38 Reply Likes
Didn't mean to say you shouldn't have come to here, Michael, just trying to explain where I think the problem lies.

Beat
Photo of Michael Barrett Boesen

Michael Barrett Boesen

  • 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I know.... Getting a little desparate ;-) Really wants this to work instead of having to keep reverting to LR 3.3 or finding another Gallery software, which is free to use and suits my needs ;-)
Photo of Benjamin Warde

Benjamin Warde, Employee

  • 483 Posts
  • 74 Reply Likes
In Lightroom 3.4 we updated the reading and writing of metadata to conform to the guidelines of the Metadata Working Group specification. As part of the MWG spec, some changes were made to text encoding for reading/writing various metadata fields. See http://www.metadataworkinggroup.org/p... (page 32, 33). My guess is that the Coppermine might not follow the MWG spec.

-Ben