Lightroom 4.1: Problems after changing application language

  • 3
  • Problem
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • (Edited)
I had installed the German version of Lightroom 4.1. Then I changed the language (Edit/Preferences/General/Language) to English. After the required restart of the application all my settings were gone! I finally found the reason: The german version stores the settings in the folder "Lightroom 4 Catalog/Lightroom-Einstellungen", the English version under "Lightroom 4 Catalog/Lightroom-Settings". So my previous settings are not found anymore.
There are many more language problems, e.g. "Catalog / Added by previous export" keeps its German name. And the color labels are called "Set label to Rot" / "Grün" / "Blau" and so on, which are the German colors.
Photo of Marco Nef

Marco Nef

  • 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 6 years ago

  • 3
Photo of LRuserXY

LRuserXY

  • 426 Posts
  • 41 Reply Likes
Perhaps it is important to note that the first problem (lost settings) only happens if the option "store settings with catalog" is enabled. Otherwise, the settings are stored in the user's directory (e.g. AppData.... in Win7) and are not language dependent.

I already submitted this problem a long time ago in the old bug report form.

The color labels are a slightly different problem - they cannot be changed by simply changing the GUI language. Instead, you have to change the "color label set" and reassign new label values to all photos. EDIT: I explained in another thread how to do that: http://feedback.photoshop.com/photosh...
Photo of Marco Nef

Marco Nef

  • 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks for your explanation of the color problem. In my opinion this is a big bug! It's exactly the same problem Microsoft had with Word / Excel / ... when they started to translate VBA commands more than ten years ago. Since that time any programmer should know that data and GUI are two different things. Brought to the point: They should store the English expression in the data (or any other text we don't care about) and show the correct translation in the GUI.
Photo of LRuserXY

LRuserXY

  • 426 Posts
  • 41 Reply Likes
I think it's not a bug, at least not directly. There is no metadata field that directly corresponds to colors. But there is the "XMP:Label" field, which is a freetext field - you can enter anything you want (in the metadata panel). The color coding used by LR is only used to map five labels that are used to colors, so they can be distingiushed visually. E.g. what the color "red" means is entirely up to the user. It could mean "marked for rejection" as well as "not yet developed".

So, the default setting that the labels are named after the colors themselves is IMHO not very useful and everyone should create an own personal label set representing the labels used. It really does not make sense to have a photo labeled "red" in the metadata - consequently it does not matter whether the initial label set was "red", "rot", or "rouge" etc. for the color red.

That's just my personal opinion - i.e. that it is not a bug because it is simply a text field with an visual representation option.
Photo of Marco Nef

Marco Nef

  • 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Your thoughts are correct as long as you think on a level that low as XMP data (don't misunderstand me: not your thoughts are low, but there is something like protocols if you know about such things in computer science. XMP is a very low-level protocol, GUI is much higher).

But for the user of Lightroom it does not matter where in the XMP (or if at all) that data is stored. There is an interpretation of the flag in Lightroom, so it should be language independent.
Photo of Catherine Lecoq

Catherine Lecoq

  • 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
even though I live in a German speaking area I have a LR4 English version, Updates systematically attempt to switch me to German. I found out where to switch back to English. Regrettably it does not work for everything: I have now a "Smart Sammlungen" collection with "Fünf Sterne" etc. members

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
Lightroom: Bug with Language support.