Running W7Pro-64 bit on new computer. Has worked correctly until yesterday when about 50 scanned/processed images were supposedly saved in a designated folder as jpegs. When I went to open them, the icon attributed to them was a blank page identified in properties as "windows shell file". Elements 8--the program that saved them would not recognize them. The file type shown in properties was actually the file name I had given each image as I saved it. I typed the file name in the correct window with the file type correctly showing as "jpeg". The only way I discovered to correct this issue was to assign the only program that would recognize them (Windows Paint) and then re-save each one as a jpeg in "Paint", giving each a new name. I then deleted the originals. Today I've had the same problem as I've been scanning, processing and saving 35mm slides as jpegs. Some were saved correctly...about half of them were not. I can no longer trust Elements 8 as my only photo processing software.