Photoshop: New document size usually matches size of clipboard-copied image, but sometimes it takes 2 tries.

  • 1
  • Problem
  • Updated 7 years ago
  • (Edited)
When copying an image and then going to paste it into a new document, the document is the wrong size (doesn't match image's size) unless I cancel and do it a second time. Been annoying me for the past 10 versions of photoshop.
Photo of lala lala

lala lala

  • 25 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
  • -

Posted 7 years ago

  • 1
Photo of christoph pfaffenbichler

christoph pfaffenbichler, Champion

  • 1235 Posts
  • 178 Reply Likes
Don’t you think your OS might be of significance for people who might be able to help you?
Photo of lala lala

lala lala

  • 25 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Oops. I'm using 64-bit Windows 7. Has the same issue in older windows as well, no idea if it's an issue on Mac.
Photo of PECourtejoie

PECourtejoie, Champion

  • 792 Posts
  • 285 Reply Likes
Hello!
Are there other programs running at the same time when you do not get the correct behavior? Do you always have the problem? did you try running just Photoshop? Is it more often the case when the copy is from a given application?
There are many parameters that can interfere, and there needs to be some troubleshooting to isolate your issue.
Photo of lala lala

lala lala

  • 25 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
The next time it happens, I'll try to make note of these. I can probably figure out a way to consistently recreate it.
Photo of lala lala

lala lala

  • 25 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Ok, if anyone still wants to pinpoint this, just happened this morning. Wasn't after a fresh boot, just the beginning of the workday. The only 2 apps running are photoshop and firefox. Image was copied out of firefox, which is where 99% of my images are copied (the other 1% being from one PS document to another).

There are tray apps going, and one of them is a special handler for text in a clipboard (PureText+) but I know for sure that app is unrelated - I've had this problem long before I ever heard of the app. Also running avira antivirus, VNC, Adobe Updater, and a mouse gestures app called StrokeIt.

I don't recognize the document size it tried to assign to my new document, it was seemingly random... not the size from any recently opened documents. Maybe the size of a previously selected area within a document.
Photo of Jeffrey Tranberry

Jeffrey Tranberry, Sr. Product Manager, Digital Imaging

  • 14663 Posts
  • 1951 Reply Likes
When you're in this state, can you paste into Microsoft Paint correctly?
Photo of lala lala

lala lala

  • 25 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
I think so, the image itself always pastes correctly. The problem is strictly with photoshop choosing the size of the new document. If I right click and copy, say, a 500x500 image. Go to file --> new... it usually suggests 500x500 as the new document size, but sometiimes it'll be some random figure like 328x175. But if I click OK and then paste, the pasted layer is still 500x500 and just exceeds the document bounds. I can drag it around see the remainder of it.

If I click cancel, then file --> new again, the suggested size is always correct (in this case 500x500). The pasting goes smoothly in this situation as well. So I expect the image will paste fine anywhere.