Lightroom: Major resource leak in Book module

  • 2
  • Problem
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • (Edited)
Hi,

I'm having real problems using the "Book" module in Lightroom. It seems there is a resource leak which is very quickly slowing down the entire PC. I'm having to reboot every ten minutes or so to free it up.

I'm using large, scanned photos so I expect handling to be a bit slow. The other modules all work fine, it's just "Book" that has the problem.

The PC starts to be unable to draw UI elements, with the problem most visible in context menus where the shadow gets drawn but nothing else does. For a short time it's possible to force the context menus to be drawn by moving the mouse pointer outside LR's main window but that quickly stops working too, forcing a full reboot. The same thing happens to all programs running on the PC, not just Lightroom. It gets to the stage where simply selecting a text box, or typing a few letters, takes many seconds to update the screen.

Even scrolling in a simple text editor (i.e. not Lightroom) will start to take several seconds to redraw. Closing LR does not fix the problem.

*** This is not a resource issue! ***

While this is happening, the PC is showing practically no CPU, network or disk activity and has over 15Gb free RAM. Lightroom is using between 1.5 and 3Gb memory of 24Gb available, no more than it usually does.
Photo of Jim Keir

Jim Keir

  • 20 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

  • 2
Photo of Michel DELFELD

Michel DELFELD

  • 241 Posts
  • 33 Reply Likes
And if you stop to use LR do you have the same situation? The best to do is to isolate one after the other the possible origin of the speed problem. However I feel a sort of slow down due to Register over lasting....
Photo of Jim Keir

Jim Keir

  • 20 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Everything else on the PC is fine, just this one module in Lightroom. Closing LR doesn't fix the situation. Also, it's not just "a bit slow", it's breaking Windows for all programs.

I'm a developer with a specialism in performance tuning, so I think I've done pretty much all of the obvious stuff to check. Unfortunately, the Adobe bug report form links back here.
Photo of Michel DELFELD

Michel DELFELD

  • 241 Posts
  • 33 Reply Likes
so no problem, help yourself...
Photo of Rikk Flohr

Rikk Flohr, Official Rep

  • 3853 Posts
  • 732 Reply Likes
If you go to Preferences>Performance and uncheck the GPU option, does the problem return?
Photo of Jim Keir

Jim Keir

  • 20 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Hi Rikk,

The slowdown seems to occur much more quickly with the GPU acceleration off. I actually already had this off because of a problem I'd had some time ago with an older GPU, but I'd forgotten about it so this was a good test (and reminder - thanks!). The card is an 8Gb GTX1080 and the drivers are up to date.

Exporting as a test PDF with this set ON caused three back-to-back display driver failures forcing a hard reboot. I've now reset my pagefile to be system managed - it was set to a low value because of the amount of physical RAM installed - and the export is currently running OK.

I did have Visual Studio debugger attached for a while yesterday and isolated the issue down to a call back into Windows in response to a Win32 message, having gone through AgKernel.dll and  substrate.dll . This potentially fits with my theory of an unbalanced GDI or global object allocation (this affects the entire PC despite having lots of RAM left) and, since it seems worse when the GPU acceleration is off, possibly in fallback code that's not usually used. I had to stop at that point because of time pressure. Spyxx wasn't showing anything unusual being sent around, only a couple of WM_TIMER messages which didn't seem excessive. Memory used by lightroom.exe at the time was around 6.5Gb with the full commit size about 0.5Gb larger.

I'm on the point of just calling it a day though. I lost lots of time over several days waiting for LR to catch up - menus not appearing, text being 5-10 seconds behind what I was typing and bits of it not appearing at all. Half of yesterday went on re-exporting time and time again to try and work around the "error adding text or fonts to a page" bug, finally isolating it and fixing it by re-typing that page. Using the "Select all text" and replacing the font doesn't really help because I use two fonts and would have to go through every page re-applying one of them with no guarantee of the problem not coming back.

This morning this problem did came back after doing nothing more than editing a few typos. I've got another export going with Process Explorer in the background now to try and tell me at least what photos LR loaded last, to then work out what page to re-type.

More time was wasted re-adjusting every cell padding value in the book because the 'Link All' checkbox resets all the values when you switch it off, and it's set to on even if the template has different values for the padding on different edges. (Marked as fixed in 4.3RC according to this).

I need to get this done by Thursday and it's costing me too much time. If the current export fails I'm going to switch to recreating the entire 220 page book in Blurb's software.

Windows 10, Intel i7 at 4.3GHz, 24Gb RAM, NVidia 1080 GTX 8Gb. All drivers and OS fully patched, Lightroom standalone 6.8 . Virus-scan and Malwarebytes both show as clean.

I have quite a list of UI issues too, but I suspect there's too much detail here already. I can go into detail if you want, or PM me. I'd love to see this fixed and improved (and I'm already a Lightroom developer if Adobe fancy contracting it out!), I'm perfectly willing to do some more tests for you. I just need to get the book done now and will use whatever tool gets me the results with the least pain.