LR 5.3 - What you see (in Module) is NOT what you get (when Exporting)

  • 1
  • Problem
  • Updated 4 years ago
It seems that the Spot removal creates different results in the Develop mode and when exporting the file. Here is a comparison:


This is the XMP file:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2...

It's true that I played here with several Spot Removal instances (I tried to change the location of that cloud); but the major issue is that what I see while editing is so different than what the export ends up looking like.

I can provide the RAW file if needed.
Photo of Assaf Toledo

Assaf Toledo

  • 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • confused

Posted 4 years ago

  • 1
Photo of Steve Sprengel

Steve Sprengel, Champion

  • 2586 Posts
  • 323 Reply Likes
The raw file would be useful to see if it can be repeated on other computers.
Photo of Steve Sprengel

Steve Sprengel, Champion

  • 2586 Posts
  • 323 Reply Likes
Having Nik plug-ins installed causes some problems with other edits not showing up upon Export. Do you have Nik plug-ins installed? The selection plug-in seems to be the problem one.
Photo of Assaf Toledo

Assaf Toledo

  • 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks for replying, here is the RAW file:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2...

I don't have the Nik plugin installed. This is my list:
Photo of Assaf Toledo

Assaf Toledo

  • 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Also wanted to say that I didn't use any plugin in processing/exporting this image.
Photo of Steve Sprengel

Steve Sprengel, Champion

  • 2586 Posts
  • 323 Reply Likes
I see two clouds when I import your ORF with the XMP existing in the folder. That matches the Export, look. Does it depend on the ordering of the clone/heal operations? I don't have any history in the XMP so cannot tell what order you've done things.


Exporting this single image as a catalog would include the history.

If you restart LR and discard then compute a new 1:1 preview do you see one or two clouds?
Photo of Assaf Toledo

Assaf Toledo

  • 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I restarted LR and now I get a preview with the two clouds that matches the export. I looked at different stages in the history and I can't see the problem again.

So it looks like I experienced a temporal issue with the preview, potentially due to the specific settings and ordering in which I applied the spot removal instances. I'm sure that there is a problem, because at the moment of posting this report I definitely saw it and could generate as many exports that do not match the preview as I wanted.

Thanks for suggesting to restart LR. I didn't think it's something of that sort.

The catalog is here, in case it's interesting to analyze the problem in more depth:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2...
The relevant stage in the history where I noticed the problem is the one called:
"Export (2/6/2014 4:08:13 AM)" - this is the export of the XMP file that I attached in the beginning. So whatever happened before that stage generated the problem

Thanks again for the help!
Photo of Steve Sprengel

Steve Sprengel, Champion

  • 2586 Posts
  • 323 Reply Likes
Hovering over the History steps in your catalog, I see things change between the last two Exports when there are no intervening steps that would change anything. The last two snapshots also have changes between them without intervening steps to account for those changes.

Something fishy seems to be going on, I'm just not sure where.
Photo of Assaf Toledo

Assaf Toledo

  • 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
That's understandable. I pressed on previous exports and created snapshots of these points in the history. So the snapshots are added at the top of the history, without steps in between, but they reflect points in history that are very different.

Anyway, I created a new catalog in which cleared the history after "Export (2/6/2014 4:08:13 AM)" (except for a brush I had to insert and delete):
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2...