LR 5.2 IPTC Metadata export error on MacOS 10.9

  • 1
  • Problem
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • (Edited)
I've just updated from LR 4 to 5.2 (CC subscription), I've now gotten issues with IPTC data when exporting images to clients. It's from raw files (CR2) to JPG. Specifically it's the Contact fields, entered data becomes corrupt, leaving people unable to see my contact details...

Please see image on link below, on data I want to export, and how it looks when I view the file in normal file viewer (Mac Preview): https://www.dropbox.com/s/qqptrbusbrl...

This metadata preset has worked in previous versions of LR without issues, and I've also tried creating a new preset from scratch in the new LR version - same problem.

Anybody with a fix for this?
Thanks!
Photo of Kasper Nybo

Kasper Nybo

  • 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

  • 1
Photo of Rob Cole

Rob Cole

  • 4831 Posts
  • 384 Reply Likes
I just checked, and my contact fields are exporting OK (Lr5.3RC). win7/64

Perhaps you could do some more testing to see if you can isolate - i.e. find some conditions where it does *not* happen... e.g. try with a new catalog, try with different contact info, view with different viewers and exiftool..

I mean, you may be able to work around this using an exiftool-based solution, but prolly best to figure out what's going on first.
Photo of Kasper Nybo

Kasper Nybo

  • 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Rob,

Thanks for you response. I've investigated further now and it looks as though the issue could be related to OSX Mavericks, and not LR.
I've checked the file in Preview, as I need the most basic image viewer to be able to read my contact details in meta. I'm sure there's a Windows equivalent of this basic viewer. (I can't rely on my clients to have fancy file readers as PS and the likes...)

But now I did check the file in PS, just to see if the data was there - and it was.
Then I went on to check it in an online Exif/IPTC viewer - again basic data reading, no fancy tools. Again the data was there.
Now I sent the file to my old Mac, running OSX Leopard - and opened the file in Preview; Voila, data is readable!

So data and export from LR seems fine. The metadata reading in the new Mavericks seem to have an issue. So problem solved - and I can safely send the files on their way (and hope my clients don't check the meta in Mavericks Preview...) :-)

Thanks again, and if anybody runs into the same issue, I hope this will be useful.
Photo of Rob Cole

Rob Cole

  • 4831 Posts
  • 384 Reply Likes
Yep - OS's have bugs too ;-}.

Thanks for the update.

R