Lightroom: Export produces duplicate files

  • 1
  • Problem
  • Updated 9 months ago
  • (Edited)
When I export a group of files to JPEG, Lightroom sometimes makes multiple copies of the same image. The files are apparently identical except that the duplicate has a "(1)" appended to its filename, as if I'd exported a second time around with identical filenames that LR didn't want to overwrite. The problem seems to happen with exports with more than a handful of images, but it doesn't always happen. The duplicate file is typically in the middle of the group I exported (from DNG, most of the time, but I'm not sure if the problem only happens with DNG).

I'm using LR 2015.10.1 on MacOS 10.12.6 beta, but this problem has been happening at least since MacOS 10.12.5. I have a 2016 MacBook Pro with Touch Bar, Intel Core i6 processor, AMD Radeon Pro 460 GPU, 16GB memory.
Photo of Stephen Shankland

Stephen Shankland

  • 79 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes

Posted 1 year ago

  • 1
Photo of Rikk Flohr

Rikk Flohr, Official Rep

  • 3447 Posts
  • 622 Reply Likes
Stephen, can you share a screen shot of the options in your export dialog?
(Edited)
Photo of Stephen Shankland

Stephen Shankland

  • 79 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
Sure. Let me know if you want me to expand various fields. I'm just showing the ones I fiddle with. Custom settings for filename are below, too. 
Photo of Johan Elzenga

Johan Elzenga, Champion

  • 1227 Posts
  • 495 Reply Likes
Are you sure you didn't select a virtual copy of that file too? Because a virtual copy has the same file name as the original, Lightroom would add (1) in the export process to distinguish the exported virtual copy from the exported original.
(Edited)
Photo of Stephen Shankland

Stephen Shankland

  • 79 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
I'm not sure about earlier instances, but in this case the duplicate file wasn't a virtual copy. Just a plain old DNG, with no virtual copy around to select.
Photo of Rikk Flohr

Rikk Flohr, Official Rep

  • 3447 Posts
  • 622 Reply Likes
Google Drive... is the destination... That is suspicious. I hazard a guess that that may be the problem. (I suspected a destination folder on a syncing folder might be contributing).

First test Stephan, is to change your destination to a static non-syncing folder and see if you can duplicate. If you can, then we have a deeper issue. If not, I am guessing it is a timing issue with the syncing of the file. Thoughts?
Photo of Stephen Shankland

Stephen Shankland

  • 79 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
Yes, I'll try that, though since it's sporadic, I'm not sure how definitive testing will be. Perhaps Google Drive is doing something it didn't before. Seems like a possible source of trouble, though I've been exporting to GDrive for years with no trouble. (Stephen, btw, not Stephan)
Photo of Rikk Flohr

Rikk Flohr, Official Rep

  • 3447 Posts
  • 622 Reply Likes
Sorry about that, I have trouble reading text in front of me at times. It may not be related but I've seen some conditions where a syncing file becomes trouble. 
Photo of Stephen Shankland

Stephen Shankland

  • 79 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
I just did four test exports of the same 38 files.

1. As before into GDrive-synced folder. Result: photos #1 and #3 duplicated.

2. Into GDrive-synced folder with GDrive sync paused and network off. Result: no duplicates

3. Into a Desktop folder. Result: no duplicates, though it occurred to me that the desktop folder is being synced via iCloud.

4. Repeat of test 1. Result: no duplicates. As I say, it's sporadic.
(Edited)
Photo of Terry Alexander

Terry Alexander

  • 11 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I am having a similar issue with the export function since I upgraded to Classic. But the difference is it only occurs when I export and do a file overwrite. I end up with two exact images in the folder I am exporting to, with exactly the same file name - there is no added number indicating one may be a duplicate. If I try to delete one of the images, they both delete. I am exporting to a dropbox folder. Classic is running on a Macbook Pro. I used the same process with the previous version of Lightroom and this problem never occured.