Lightroom 6.8: "An error occurred when attempting to change modules"

  • 1
  • Problem
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • (Edited)
I’m getting an error on lightroom 6.8 just after I updated to it, that says something like “error while changing modules”, all photos and modules disappear and drives LR useless and I have to force quit. Sometimes happens while creating 1:1 previews and sometimes happens after editing 50-70 images. I already reset LR’s preferences but the issue remains

Photo of Juan Manuel Aguilar

Juan Manuel Aguilar

  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

  • 1
Photo of Rikk Flohr

Rikk Flohr, Official Rep

  • 4472 Posts
  • 885 Reply Likes
Have you been through the steps in this document? https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/error-changing-modules-lightroom.html 
Photo of Juan Manuel Aguilar

Juan Manuel Aguilar

  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I have never seen that document, but switching catalogs did help, thanks!
Photo of rome2807

rome2807

  • 14 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Juan, Rikk,

I'm observing the same issue in CC 2015.8. I went through all relevant troubleshooting tips in the referenced document - even with a fresh Lightroom installation and full deletion of preferences / presets and a new catalog, the issue persists. System: iMac (late 2012), Mac OS 10.12.2, dual monitor, Nvidia GTX 680MX. Disabling the GPU seems to reduce the frequency but doesn't prevent the issue from occurring.

When it happens (always in Develop), the photo display on the main screen freezes, along with the menus / panels. Film strip and secondary display are still responsive i.e. selecting a different photo refreshes the secondary display but main display is still frozen. A subsequent attempt to switch to the library module causes the "An error occurred when attempting..." message. Switching to another module then Library works (e.g. Slideshow or Map) but when subsequently switching to Develop or Library triggers the error. After this, quitting Lightroom works most of the time, but I've experienced occasional crashes too. No data corruption or loss of edits fortunately. Upon restart or Lightroom, it works for a while but the condition eventually reoccurs.

I've subsequently downgraded to CC 2015.7 (no further changes, same catalog) and haven't experienced the problem since then (and not before upgrading to 2015.8) - with GPU acceleration enabled - so it seems to be related to the latest version.

Roland