LR Classic duplicate folders

  • 2
  • Problem
  • Updated 12 months ago
I am in the process of cleaning out duplicates in Classic. This 2014 year had all duplicated months, upper case and lower case in LR. I looked on my hard drive and they were actually all lower case. I renamed them all in Bridge to begin with a capital letter. I then synchronized the 2014 folder. Then it was just weird - the apr folder had 1 image while the Apr image had 141. Again - the apr folder DOESN'T EXIST!

So, I quit LR. I reopened it and back to everything duplicated. As you can see in the screenshots, the lowercase folders really don't exist anymore. 



I created a new catalogue and imported my 2014 year folder into it - came in just fine, only the "real" folders were there. 

This whole process has been preceded by my stupidity of choosing to sync my LR Classic to

LR. In May I chose this:

 

It has literally been a nightmare ever since. I started with over 60K images in LR.  I have turned off sync in Classic after allowing it to sync for over a week (some days in May, some days in July). Needless to say I actually used up all of my wifi and my teenagers were not happy with me. I've been cleaning up the mess trying to get back to life before that horrible click of a button. 

I would love it if there was a way to turn off the migrate switch that I turned on, but a few months later and talking to many people that know LR better than I do (I know this stuff very well) and there is no solution. 

So for now... The weird duplicated folder bug... For now I am manually removing the non-existent folders. 
Photo of Melissa Piccone

Melissa Piccone

  • 10 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • perplexed

Posted 12 months ago

  • 2
Photo of Stephen Shankland

Stephen Shankland

  • 107 Posts
  • 23 Reply Likes
This looks like a variation of the capitlization problem I've been having 2 years. (Whenever I create pano or HDR or import from LR mobile, LR Classic changes its references to the other images to a folder "STS" that should be "sts" instead.) Jim Wilde had a solution that works for me, which I apply several times a month but that never fixes the problems permanently. Here's my report on it: https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/lightroom-capitalisation-bug

Unfortunately the helpful Jim Wilde fix is now a broken link. In short, I have created a dummy folder (I call it "LR capitalization fix.") I update folder location for my 2019 folder (right click, update folder locdation) to this dummy folder, then update the resulting new LR capitalization fix folder back to /sts/Pictures/2019/. LR asks if I want to merge, and I say yes. 

I don't know if this will help you but it might be worth a shot. Back up your catalog first.