Lightroom: Problem with XMP/IPTC transfer

  • 1
  • Problem
  • Updated 7 years ago
  • (Edited)
When I export my nef images into jpeg or tiff files, IPTC are changing (french version)
Example : title or legend are "Levé de soleil sur la côte" and become " Levé de soleil sur la cà ́te".
This problem didn't appear in the previous version.
Thank you
Photo of Nicolas Petit

Nicolas Petit

  • 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 7 years ago

  • 1
Photo of Nicolas Petit

Nicolas Petit

  • 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
When I export my nef images into jpeg or tiff files, IPTC are changing (french version)
Example : title or legend are "Levé de soleil sur la côte" and become " Levé de soleil sur la cà ́te".
This problem didn't appear in the previous version.
Thank you
Photo of Beat Gossweiler

Beat Gossweiler

  • 238 Posts
  • 38 Reply Likes
How are you looking at your title in the exported image? LR (correctly) exports metadata in UTF-8 and tags it accordingly since a few versions, so I suspect the tool you're reading the metadata with is wrong and does not respect the UTF-8 tag. Try Jeffrey's Exif Viewer to look at the metadata (search for "Object Name" in IPTC if you want to see the title). ExifTool respects the encoding of metadata correctly.

Also, if you're uploading your images to a image site, you might have to instruct the site to read the metadata in UTF-8.

Beat
Photo of jdv

jdv, Champion

  • 728 Posts
  • 56 Reply Likes
I suspect you are on a Mac. The problem is that the non UTF-8 fields where keywords can be stored are being stored in MacRoman format.

One solution is Friedl's metadata wrangler plug-in. It has a normalization option that will ensure UTF-8 characters are properly stored in the photo metadata when exported.
Photo of David Franzen

David Franzen, Employee

  • 100 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
Hi John Verne,

Are you sure you're seeing Lightroom store keywords in files uing Mac Roman formatting and not UTF-8. How do you make this happen? It shouldn't happen--certainly not when starting with a new NEF and entering keywords in Lightroom's UI, then exporting a JPEG. If you're seeing it happen in some other case, please let me know.
Photo of Nicolas Petit

Nicolas Petit

  • 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hello,
I've tried Jeffrey's Exif Viewer to look at the metada and it work well.
The encoding error appear when I read information with photoshop 7.
Photo of Beat Gossweiler

Beat Gossweiler

  • 238 Posts
  • 38 Reply Likes
How old is photoshop 7? Searching on the web revealed something like 2002. Is that true?

If so, that might explain why Photoshop 7 is not recognizing the UTF-8 tag yet.

Beat
Photo of Nicolas Petit

Nicolas Petit

  • 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I'm working on PC and Photoshop 7 version is 1990-2002.
Photo of Beat Gossweiler

Beat Gossweiler

  • 238 Posts
  • 38 Reply Likes
I guess (somebody from Adobe might be able to confirm) that they didn't think about UTF-8 at that time yet ....

Beat
Photo of jdv

jdv, Champion

  • 728 Posts
  • 56 Reply Likes
@David Franzen, this was a long-time bug for some Mac users.

If you used some international chars in keywords (e.g., "Français, café, l'hôtel, naïve."), you would get duplicate and munged keywords like this: "naã ̄ve l'hã ́tel cafã© franã§ais na•ve l'h™tel cafŽ cafe franais"

This problem looks related to IPTC fields, a missing "Coded Character Set" field, and the fact that Lightroom may default to MacRoman for character data on a Mac. It appears that the improperly encoded IPTC:Keyword data is not understood by any application, especially if the Coded Character Set field is not set.

Since no app or web site can know what char set the data is in, it probably guesses UTF-8 or Latin-1, which is (of course) totally wrong.

This is, or was, a posted bug in Lightroom (I don't have the ref, sorry), which should write these out in UTF-8 and/or set the Code Character Set (at the very least) and/or give the user some control over how potentially dangerous data is stuffed into EXIF/IPTC/XMP. (I vote for ignoring IPTC altogether since it is rather outdated.)

A workaround is to postprocess the images with ExifTool to just remove the IPTC:Keywords filed completely. In fact, I just remove the entire IPTC block with a Lightroom export plugin (http://regex.info/blog/lightroom-good...) since most of that data is duplicated in the XMP block. In fact, Friedl later put in a special control in his Metadata Wrangler plug-in precisely because of this problem.

Here are some references:

- http://regex.info/blog/lightroom-good... (search for "accented characters")
- http://www.lightroomforums.net/showth...
- http://www.flickr.com/help/forum/3055...

The last time I tried to export images to a web service without using metadata wrangler, the problem was still there. I just ignore IPTC fields mostly, and depend on XMP, so I really don't care.
Photo of Nicolas Petit

Nicolas Petit

  • 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks for all. This error not come from Lightrrom on my PC but from my Photoshop version. I've tried with ViewNX and it work well.