Lightroom encountered user permission issues

  • 1
  • Problem
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • Not a Problem
When I launch LR classic (v9.2.1) on my macbook pro (15", 2016), LR gives me the error,

"Lightroom does not have write permission to some standard user folders. Please click the 'Repair to Continue' button to grant permissions. Lightroom might not work correctly if you continue without correcting the issues."

Clicking Repair doesn't work, and instead gives the prompt,

"Lightroom cannot fix the permission issue for you autmatically. Please check the link below to learn more and correct the problem manually. Lightroom might not work correctly if you continue without correcting the issue."

I've tried the terminal user repair command (diskutil resetUserPermissions / `id -u`) and it didn't fix the problem.
Photo of omeed askari

omeed askari

  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
  • frustrated

Posted 2 months ago

  • 1
Photo of Johan Elzenga

Johan Elzenga, Champion

  • 2969 Posts
  • 1270 Reply Likes
So what did the link say? It's possible that you have set one of the folders that Lightroom uses to a location that is not accessible to Lightroom. For example, if you set the downloads location of the images that are synced from the cloud to the root of your internal disk, you may get this error because Lightroom is not allowed to write to the root.
Photo of Yves Crausaz

Yves Crausaz

  • 785 Posts
  • 113 Reply Likes
On macOS, you should not forget to validate requests of approval of access which cross during the installation of software otherwise, software is not authorized to write on discs, it is not only ACLs!

Photo of omeed askari

omeed askari

  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Hi Johan,

Problem solved! I contacted Apple after Adobe support helped me determine the problem was my user account on the computer. It's permissions had somehow corrupted, but we weren't able to identify how. Adobe suggested creating a new user account and migrating to that, but that's not as simple as it sounds. I contacted Apple and explained all the various troubleshooting steps I had tried. The only thing I hadn't was SMC reset. Reset the SMC as described here and it worked! no more error.

Nevertheless, thank you for the suggestion. I should have noted I had tried that and it didn't work. The link went to a general support article addressing user permission issues, which itself contained a link that seemed relevant to my issue; however, clicking this just reloaded the same general support article. I tried various other troubleshooting suggestions I finally found on the internet but nothing seemed to work for me. I was about to reformat but decided to call Apple just in case.