Lightroom CC - A toy for consumers, not a tool for photographers

  • 1
  • Problem
  • Updated 8 months ago
I have taken my time and really tried to like Lightroom CC before posting this.  It's hard because I have been a long time user of Adobe Products and, although I have lived with bugs and blunders, I have never outright slammed Adobe like I'm about to.

I have used Lightroom since Beta.   Lightroom is where 95% of my photography workflow lives - the remaining 5% is Photoshop, but I still access the photos through Lightroom.  I have a great system that lets me use and sync my Lightroom catalogs on multiple computers (Thank You One Drive).  I keep an 8TB NAS on site and access the full resolution photos from it.  On top of that, I back everything up to Amazon Glacier in case of a catastrophic failure or natural disaster.

Because of my setup, Lightroom CC intrigued me.  A place to both store my files and edit them with a professional tool.  Then I actually tried to use it and wondered why Adobe is even calling this product Lightroom.

This is not Lightroom - this is a toy.  Something for consumers and amateurs.  This is not the robust, full featured product that Adobe now brands as "Lightroom Classic"  as if the people that use it are not forward thinking individuals, but dinosaurs relegated to extinction.

Lightroom CC is closer to Apple Aperture than it is to Lightroom "Classic"  It's "elegant" interface is clearly aimed at smartphone users.  It's "smart/AI/Machine learning" Search tool is nice, but lacks the intelligence of the photographer that shot the image, so tagging is still a necessity.  The tools that professional photographers rely on in the Develop module have been dumbed down into cute icons and presets.  Plus - with the lack of a printing module - Adobe is clearly targeting people that will never print their photos.

I could continue to rant, but since I do not like being entirely negative, I will ask Adobe to re-think their Product naming.  Lightroom CC is NOT Lightroom.  It should not have a name that confuses what Lightroom is and should always be.  A professional tool for cataloging and managing one's entire workflow from digital negative to print.

Rebrand Lightroom CC - Lightroom Elements Cloud would be more appropriate.  Brand this for the people it is intended for - consumers.  And while we're at it, Don't brand REAL Lightroom as "Classic"  it's demeaning to the professionals that will continue to use it on a daily basis.
Photo of Richard Snow

Richard Snow

  • 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • sad, angry, confused

Posted 8 months ago

  • 1

Be the first to post a reply!