Lightroom Slideshow - wrong date displayed

  • 3
  • Problem
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • (Edited)
Lightroom 6, Slideshow, the "Exif Metadata" supplied template uses the Exif field "Date Time" which is the date this image was last edited, instead of "Date Time Original" which is the date the photo was taken. This is important if the image was created by the new Panorama feature, because these dates are different and the wrong one is displayed. There is no ability to choose the correct field even by creating a new adornment.
Photo of Philip Heavin

Philip Heavin

  • 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

  • 3
Photo of csherry

csherry

  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I am having a similar issue. In the slideshow module the date shown is Date Time Original, but when I export the slideshow as JPGs it is labeling all the images as December 29, 2015. I don't know why that date as it's not today's date, not the Date Modified, or any other date I see. Maybe it's the last time I edited information about this file in the Lightroom DB?
Photo of John R. Ellis

John R. Ellis, Champion

  • 3694 Posts
  • 965 Reply Likes
I agree, it doesn't seem useful for most users to put the EXIF DateTime (when software lasted edited the photo) in the Exif Metadata template. There are two workarounds to this bug:

1. Create your own user template and add the EXIF fields you want as text to the template, using the "ABC" button on the toolbar at the bottom. The Date field inserted by this button will be the capture date (EXIF DateTimeOriginal) rather than EXIF DateTime.

2. In the Template Browser panel of the Slideshow module, right-click the Exif Metadata template and do Export. Edit the exported file "Exif Metadata.lrtemplate" with a text editor (e.g. Notepad or TextEdit). Search for this line:

value = "{{com.adobe.dateTime}}",

and replace it with this line:

value = "{{com.adobe.dateTimeOriginal}}",
Photo of John R. Ellis

John R. Ellis, Champion

  • 3694 Posts
  • 965 Reply Likes
Oops, forget the last part of workaround 2: After editing the file, in the Template Browser panel, right-click User Templates and do Import to import the template you just edited.
Photo of Philip Heavin

Philip Heavin

  • 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
John R. Ellis - thanks for your suggestions:

1. Create your own user template and add the EXIF fields you want as text to the template, using the "ABC" button on the toolbar at the bottom. The Date field inserted by this button will be the capture date (EXIF DateTimeOriginal) rather than EXIF DateTime.

I tried this workaround before I did the original post. The problem is that the time is displayed in 24 hour format, unacceptable to my wife.

2. In the Template Browser panel of the Slideshow module, right-click the Exif Metadata template and do Export. Edit the exported file "Exif Metadata.lrtemplate" with a text editor (e.g. Notepad or TextEdit). Search for this line: ...

This sounds like a great workaround, I will try it the next time. How in the world am I supposed to know about this, if you hadn't posted it here?
Photo of John R. Ellis

John R. Ellis, Champion

  • 3694 Posts
  • 965 Reply Likes
"How in the world am I supposed to know about this, if you hadn't posted it here?"

You're not :-< I'm a plugin developer, so I know a lot about Lightroom internals and am used to examining the various .lrtemplate files that it generates.

Unfortunately, this is one of the many rough edges of LR that doesn't get much love from Adobe.
Photo of csherry

csherry

  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
This is fixed in the latest LR patch to LR 6. Woohoo!
Photo of John R. Ellis

John R. Ellis, Champion

  • 3694 Posts
  • 965 Reply Likes
Hmm, the original symptoms described by Phillip above are not fixed in my LR CC 2015.3 (the latest).
Photo of csherry

csherry

  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hmmm, well there's a separate thread on how if you select a bunch of images in a set and export to JPG from slideshow module it applies the date of the last image to all of the images. That is actually what was happening to me and the patch fixed my issues. Also the dates now being applied are the original date, not the edited date, for me.