Lightroom: LR 3 Library Module Rename Bug

  • 1
  • Problem
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • (Edited)
LR3 has a bug then surfaces when one is renaming files, mostly when using rename presets. I use a default naming convention which is "Descriptive name, Location_yyyymmdd_nnn.ext, generally dng, jpg or tif.

I am in Library module>selected files to rename>F2 Rename>Select rename preset> type in "Descriptive name, Location">OK. In many cases, what I get back are photos with an incorrect number sequence. The errors are as follows:

Descriptive name, Location_yyyymmdd_001-1.dng
Descriptive name, Location_yyyymmdd_002-1.dng
Descriptive name, Location_yyyymmdd_003-1.dng
Descriptive name, Location_yyyymmdd_004.dng (every once in awhile it does one correctly the goes back to incorrect)
Descriptive name, Location_yyyymmdd_005-1.dng
Descriptive name, Location_yyyymmdd_006-1.dng etc. to the end of the photos selected

The only workaround that I have found is to hit F2 again while viewing the files in Windows Explorer. This is the easiest way to verify that the rename was finally completed correctly. In some cases, I have to hit F2 multiple times to correctly rename. In one case after 10 tries, I finally gave up and renamed the five photos manually in LR.

If I neglect to check in Windows Explorer, surely as night comes, when I search for the pattern in Windows Explorer, I find new ones that I have to fix. This causes alot of extra work that SHOULD NOT BE NECESSARY! PLEASE FIX ASAP.
Photo of Claire Salvail

Claire Salvail

  • 18 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
  • frustrated

Posted 5 years ago

  • 1

Be the first to post a reply!