Lightroom: LensInfo from NEX-5R will always use "----"

  • 1
  • Problem
  • Updated 6 years ago
  • (Edited)
Imported photos from NEX-5R will always use "----" as Lens Info when using a non-native lens. This is true even though the information has been updated with ExifTool. Lightroom will then automatically overwrite the Lens to "----".
Photo of Carl-Christian Ljunggren

Carl-Christian Ljunggren

  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • frustrated

Posted 6 years ago

  • 1
Photo of Richard Henley

Richard Henley

  • 50 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
I think you may be leaving too much information out in this post. I would tend to wonder what file type this occurs with, and which platform at a minimum.

I have to say though that I routinely rewrite the following Metadata tags with Exif tool
and have not noticed this problem on any of those DNG files that I import into Lightroom. Possibly you have an invalid character in the field you are writing. I'll assume, although you also did not state that you have checked the Metadata tags with a Exif Viewer outside of Lightroom to verify the tag appears as you expect.

-ExifIFD:UserComment
-XMP-aux:Lens
-ExifIFD:MaxApertureValue
-ExifIFD:Lens
-ExifIFD:LensInfo
-ExifIFD:LensMake
-ExifIFD:LensSerialNumber
Photo of Carl-Christian Ljunggren

Carl-Christian Ljunggren

  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Sorry, I just didn't know where to start since I suspected this was an old bug that popped up again.

The filetypes I have tried are ARW, Sony's Raw format.

- When importing, Lightroom shows the metadata for Lens: as ----
- When writing lens information I use LensTagger Exif Tool. Example Lensname I want to use: CARL ZEISS PLANAR T 50mm F1.7. This works when using RW2 files from Panasonic GF1, GF3 and G3.
- After I've used LensTagger and read metadata in Lightroom, the metadata is still ---- for Lens.

ExifTool checks.

Straight from the camera:
Exif::UserComment: Empty
XMP-aux:Lens: Blank, no data
Lightrooms XMP-file, XMP-aux:Lens: ----
Exif::MaxApertureValue: 1.0
Exif::LensModel: ----
Exif::LensInfo: No such row
Exif::LensMake: No such row
Exif::LensSerialNumber: No such row

Updated with LensTagger:
Exif::UserComment: Empty
XMP-aux:Lens: CARL ZEISS PLANAR T* 50mm F1.7
Lightrooms XMP-file, XMP-aux:Lens: ----
Exif::MaxApertureValue: 16.0
Exif::LensModel: CARL ZEISS PLANAR T* 50mm F1.7
Exif::LensInfo: No such row
Exif::LensMake: No such row
Exif::LensSerialNumber: No such row
Photo of Allan Olesen

Allan Olesen

  • 64 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
To me, it certainly looks like an old bug that popped up again. Take a lot at my post from 11 months ago in this thread:
http://feedback.photoshop.com/photosh...

I will repeat myself from that thread:

Actually, the cause of the problem is well understood by some users. I hope it is well understood by Adobe too, but otherwise I will give a summary:

1. The lens description can exist in at least two different tags in a raw file:
Exif:LensModel and XMP:Lens

2. If both tags are present, LR 4 will give Exif:LensModel higher priority than XMP:Lens.

3. Exif:LensModel cannot be written to a sidecar xmp file.

1+2+3: If a camera creates an Exif:LensModel tag with wrong content, there is no way to override it and get the correct content into LR4 by writing the correct content into an xmp sidecar file. Then only option (besides manipulating the LR4 catalog) is deleting or modifying the Exif:LensModel in the raw file, and a lot of us certainly don't want to do that.

This is very annoying, since a lot of third party lenses for the Sony platform (I don't know about other platforms) need some kind of manual correction of the lens name because lens manufacturers reuse old Lens IDs.

The simple fix would of course be to give higher priority to XMP:Lens. And if that has some unwanted results, then at least make this priority:
1. XMP:Lens written in an xmp sidecar file.
2. Exif:LensModel written in the raw file.
3. XMP:Lens written in the raw file.
Photo of Allan Olesen

Allan Olesen

  • 64 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Update:
According to the thread I quoted above, the problem was solved 7 months ago. But I don't know how it was solved. I started accepting Sony's lens names instead.

It is possible that they solved it by implementing the priority I suggested in the thread. In that case you should be able to solve your problem by writing the correct lens name into XMP(-aux):Lens in an xmp sidecar file prior to importing the photo into Lightroom since that info will be priority 1.

If they have implemented my priority, and you write it directly into XMP(-aux):Lens in the ARW file, it will not work because that info will be priority 3 while the "----" Lensmodel tag is priority 2.
Photo of Carl-Christian Ljunggren

Carl-Christian Ljunggren

  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks for the reply. That actually solves the problem.

- Using ExifTool GUI I was able to edit the XMP-section in the ARW file and add my Lens for a new file. This metadata was then present in Lightroom.
- Using ExifTool GUI I was able to edit both the XMP-section in the ARW and in the sidecar XMP and add my Lens. This metadata was then present in Lightroom.