Lightroom - Keyword "include on Export" unticked - how can I rectify?

  • 1
  • Question
  • Updated 7 years ago
  • Answered
In Lightroom 3.5, after many years of no issues with exporting keywords, and probably on the upgrade to version 3.5, the "Include on Export" option suddenly become unticked against 80% of my keywords.
This appears to be a bug.
How can I rectify this to a default (which surely should be to export a keyword) without spending days ticking keywords one by one?
Thanks
Scott
Photo of Scott Hortop

Scott Hortop

  • 10 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 7 years ago

  • 1
Photo of Rob Cole

Rob Cole

  • 4831 Posts
  • 372 Reply Likes
SQLiteSpy (or similar) will show you all keywords in a table form (double-click AgLibraryKeyword after opening lrcat file (exit Lightroom first)) - you can edit individual 'includeOnExport' cells there, or issue an SQL statement to update all or selected...

Note: there was a change in Lr 3.5 to not export any keywords if all weren't marked for export, when 'export as hierarchy' is checked. That may be why you never noticed problems before.

Because of this change, some people are using "Export Master" to maintain keywords exactly when exporting hierarchical keywords: http://www.robcole.com/Rob/ProductsAn...
Photo of Scott Hortop

Scott Hortop

  • 10 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks for that Rob.
What I want to do is simply render all keywords to export. Before getting your response I had exported my keywords and noted that all set not to export were surrounded in [square brackets]. I've simply used Notepad to edit out the brackets and am now tempted to import to see what happens - but I am holding back just in case that leads to further disaster!
Where is this 'export as hierarchy' checkbox? So I want it unchecked? I don't use hierarchies anyway, too likely to add non relevant keywords for my liking.
Cheers
Scott
Photo of jdv

jdv, Champion

  • 728 Posts
  • 55 Reply Likes
Export your keywords to a file. This will be a structured file as described in places like this: http://lightroom-news.com/2009/05/04/...

Normalize and correct your keywords (those keywords excluded on export will be in square "[]" braces. You can correct anything else you see, like synonyms, spelling and captilization, and rearrange the hierarchy if you like.

Then import the file back into this catalogue.
Photo of Scott Hortop

Scott Hortop

  • 10 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Ah that keyword export & import would be a disaster!
I took up your suggestion and figured out how to use SQLiteSpy to amend AgLibraryKeyword to make the change. But I could not figure out how to save the amended database - when I do I'll come back and report!
Photo of Scott Hortop

Scott Hortop

  • 10 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
OK sorted now - thanks. I'm efficient again!

Can you help me with the location of this 'export as hierarchy' checkbox?
Photo of Rob Cole

Rob Cole

  • 4831 Posts
  • 371 Reply Likes
Export dialog box -> Metadata Section -> 'Write Keywords as Lightroom Herarchy'

I always check this when "re-mastering" (e.g. converting tif to jpg for storage optimization), and as of Lr3.5 I always check 'Export Master' in post-process actions too.

Note: I don't *think* it will hurt to have this checked if no keywords have parents, although I haven't specifically checked whether that's true or not.

I always uncheck it for exports bound for external consumption, for maximum compatibility with other software.
Photo of Scott Hortop

Scott Hortop

  • 10 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I'm familiar with that tickbox and yes I had it ticked. I've now unticked & my keywords export OK. I am a bit lost as to why doing this on an individual image export should affect the whole keyword library though. Perhaps that's not what you intend to mean.
Anyway, thanks again for the help.
Photo of Rob Cole

Rob Cole

  • 4831 Posts
  • 371 Reply Likes
To make a long story short, I think Adobe screwed up the keyword handling in v3.5. Some people are claiming the way it was was screwed up and Adobe finally made it right. Dunno - but if I had my way they'd put it back the way it was. Just exporting back to catalog can result in new keywords being created - doesn't sound good to me. ExportMaster will mirror source keywords onto exported photos (so exported photos match source photo), but it still leaves the erroneous garbage keywords floating around with no photos, which a tidy user can then purge manually,.
Photo of Scott Hortop

Scott Hortop

  • 10 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
John - thanks for your comments but I did not go that route because while it would have added the corrected keywords, I guessed that it would have left all the [unwanted keywords] in those square brackets in place. Not sure if that would be true but I've gone the SQL route now.
Photo of jdv

jdv, Champion

  • 728 Posts
  • 55 Reply Likes
It turns out flags are additive, or changed flags are ignored on import. This is a bug, in my opinion.
Photo of Scott Hortop

Scott Hortop

  • 10 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
And going back to the cause of the issue, whatever removed my desire that keywords be exported was certainly a bug!
Photo of Rob Cole

Rob Cole

  • 4831 Posts
  • 371 Reply Likes
Yeah - if they went from "include on export" to "dont include on export" without your intervention, then it sounds like a bug to me too.