Lightroom: messed up keywords

  • 1
  • Question
  • Updated 7 years ago
  • (Edited)
I'm looking for advice people. Elsewhere on the forum I've reported that LR 3.4.1 has messed up my keywords (or maybe I have!). Anyway this post is a plea to anyone who can offer advice as to how to get myself properly organised.

Trouble is - I have been using LR for years and have 33,335 images now. Over the years, I've not been consistent with applying keywords or flagging or rating and conseqently, looking for files is a royal pain.

Now that LR seems to have developed a glitch (searching for the keyword "closeup" brings up landscapes etc!!!) it might be a good time to sort myself out.

But the thought of going through 33k worth of files makes me suicidal. It was bad enough trying to hook out images to put into my new gallery (briansphotoblog.com).

When you've all stopped laughing - any practical suggestions please?
Photo of brian brains

brian brains

  • 69 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
  • frustrated

Posted 7 years ago

  • 1
Photo of Alan Harper

Alan Harper

  • 412 Posts
  • 82 Reply Likes
Hi Brian

FWIW, I have been working with Lightroom mostly as a filing program, so I thought I had seen most of the obvious problems with keywords. I can't comment on your question without more details.

I think you need to explain what you are seeing a little more clearly (4 days without a response suggests that most people on this forum are not clear what the question is). Give us some clear examples.

Do you have "automatically write changes into XMP" set or not?

A
Photo of brian brains

brian brains

  • 69 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
My problem is in Library where I went through a folder adding a special keyword 'closeup' so I could later extract those files. Mostly, those images had no other keywords.

However, upon sorting by keyword 'closeup', with text=keyword and 'contains', the resulting selection seemed totally random, most clearly not closeups.

I do not have XMP set to auto write BTW.

That was the problem I originally posted and this post was really about how to cope with redoing keywords for thousands of images without driving myself insane.

As I'd mentioned previously, I wonder if the error is mine as I did not seperate keywords with a semi-colon although the keyword list does show all those keywords together with counts which may or may not be accurate. Thinks I should check that point asap!

Thanks for replying I was loosing hope!