Photoshop: How do I modify/shift a color or range of colors?

  • 1
  • Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
Right off the bat I'm a newbie with Photoshop. But upon messing with it and learning from tuts on you tube. One of things I love using the program for is changing car paint jobs on a photos to see what the vehicle I will be painting will look like upon completion, before I start the actual job. Now like I said I'm a newbie so this may already be a feature in the program and I just don't know how to use it yet. But I noticed that in order to change a color you have to first select the area you want to make the change to. I have a pic that I'm working on where I wish I didn't have to select the area, but instead be able to target spectrum specific colors and change them via the hue option. For example: I want to change a green to red. I would love there to be an option where i didn't have to specify the area i wanted, but just be able to change the entire image of greens to reds without affecting the other colors, and when I say greens to reds, I mean greens including the related spectrum color of the greens, the light and dark greens that may also be in the picture would turn into light or dark reds respectively following the shades the green had.
Photo of Jonah


  • 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • Curious

Posted 2 years ago

  • 1
Photo of John Maguire

John Maguire

  • 398 Posts
  • 84 Reply Likes
one way you can do this with the hue saturation adjustment layer. change the master setting to the color you want to change, than use the sliders to change it. it may require a change to several of the colors to get what you like.
Photo of Max Johnson

Max Johnson, Champion

  • 536 Posts
  • 279 Reply Likes
Exactly what John said. Layers->New Adjustment Layer->Hue/Saturation
Open the "Properties" panel for the new layer. You should see a dropdown called "Master". Change it to "Reds" or something.
Use the eye-droppers and sliders to isolate the color range you want.