This is a bug on Windows. The keyword list stops functioning after about 1630 or so keywords. The bug has been logged.
The one workaround we've found is to make the keyword list hierarchical by nesting keyword families together. This will shorten the list and allow more keywords to be viewed and/or selected and used.
Workaround: using a keyword filter shortens the list and allows the selection.
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
Lightroom LR3, LR4, LR4.1RC2: long keyword list looses focus.
Collapsing the hierarchy in the column isn't always a viable workaround. The only way in LR to reliably find photos explicitly assigned with a parent keyword is to use Flat View in the Keyword column.
Why has selecting a keyword with a mouse click in Lightroom5 suddenly stopped working?.
I have been working with Lightroom5.3. My list of keywords had gotten long so I experimented with adding hierarchy. I seemed to work as advertised with dragging other keywords under the parent keyword.
I left to do some other tasks. When I resumed I could no longer highlight (or select) a keyword in the list of all the keywords, let alone drag it.
I am using Windows 8.
I don't agree with LR team's priorities (or maybe it's marketing priorites) - I think bugs from 4 years ago should be fixed before adding new features like the ones in LR CC.
I was looking for a keyword I couldn't recall. When I checked the Keyword list in the right side panel I noticed that the list stops at the work Oak.
I tried the Library Filter and it displays a little further, up to the phrase "OK Corral".
I know there are many other keywords.
I have a total of 4,838 keywords according to the Library Filter
Total of 160,000 images in the catalog.
Windows 10 Desktop PC
Sure hope Adobe can fix this some day.
As IT pro I got curious and dug into the SQLite DB (which is the catalog). I found some redundancy in the tables and something that worries me: the ids for all keywords along a path down hierarchy to any keyword are stored with this keyword as a string. This could be a potential issue with deeply nested hierarchies.
Currently I am at 2157 keywords on my list with 1841 being on the top-level. Bit by bit I manage to get more structure into it and bring LR back to life. Not really happy.
I haven't really had any other issues, but this screen blanking issue is a real pain in the backside.
Is there any plan to fix this issue?
I recently found that on entering the letter "s" in the Keyword Tags box, the screen would blank and then flash. Pressing Esc or any other letter would bring it back.
Having carried out some tests, I have found that this behaviour occurs once there are more than about 1,020 keywords which start with the same letter.
Having counted initial letters of keywords in Excel, I found I had 1,088 beginning with "s". As a test, I increased the number of keywords commencing with the next most frequent character, which happened to be "c". As the number beginning with "c" approached 1,020, the drop down text of suggested keywords (typing "c" in the Keyword Tags box) began to blur, and once it reached 1,020 (approximately), the same screen blanking behaviour as I had on typing "s" occurred. Removing a couple of the "c" keywords stopped the blanking behaviour, adding a couple to replace them started it again.
There seems to be a clear bug which, at least on my Windows 10 system with plenty of RAM, causes Lightroom to choke when searching its database if it contains more than about 1,020 keywords which begin with the same letter being searched.
LR CC 8.0
There is a problem moving keywords from one hierarchy level to another using the mouse (drag & drop).
Steps to reproduce (in my case):
- 2000 items in the root of the keyword list
- OK: Moving one item (e.g. number 385) under another item to generate a new hierarchy level.
- Not OK: Moving one item (e.g. number 1885) under another item to generate a new hierarchy level or just moving it to another level. LR works some time and then all items in the keyword list are marked up to the item number 1885.
This was tested on two different Windows 10 PCs, with a "work" catalog and with complete new catalog. On all test scenarios the tests were OK from item 1 to 1649. With number 1650 (exactly) and higher all tests went wrong.
Every Windows application with large scrolling lists has to cope with the maximum size that Windows imposes on low-level windows (32K pixels) by repainting the windows as necessary. Most applications do that by using commonly available libraries of user-interface controls that do the work for them.
But Adobe took a shortcut when they implemented LR Windows, choosing to implement their own controls but failing to complete the work. They did it for Library grid view but not Folders, Collections, Keyword List, and other panels. And they've never owned up to taking that shortcut. See here for details: