I use Lightroom mobile for 90% of my editing now by copying the RAWs from my cameras to my phone and then importing them into Lightroom.
It all works great until it comes time to export or present my images to clients using the share album to web feature.
If I try to export the image at its original resolution (highest quality available setting) it doesn't keep the profile I have used and reverts to what I think is Adobe Standard, or Adobe color.
If I export at 2048 resolution or share to another app (which automatically reduces the size to 2048) the profile I used works.
I use RNI Images profiles for editing most of my photos and these make a significant difference to the look of the photo. It is very easy to tell when it hasn't been used.
Or, to describe what is happening in another way, the full size exports and web galleries look like the image before it is fully loaded in Lightroom. You know, when you first open it and it takes a few seconds to apply your edits. Well, the exports look like that.
I've searched around for a solution to this problem as much as I can, but I found no solutions. I found a few threads where the color space people were using was this problem. But this isn't what's happening to me. As I say, if I export at 2048 resolution everything looks great.
It's very frustrating because, as I say, I do practically all my editing on the mobile app now. And I don't want to have to fire up my desktop computer if I want to export a high quality finished jpg. This isn't even always possible if I'm working while travelling.
I have a feeling this may be a bug. But its been going on for a while now, so if it was I would have thought it would have been addressed.
After some digging I can see that the profile isn't being applied.
On Lightroom.adobe.com my photos don't have the right profile. But I can go in and edit them and change the profile to what it should be. However, when I click save and exit, it reverts back to using the Adobe Standard profile.
Also, I have tried turning off the use smart previews option. I have cleared the cache and even uninstalled and reinstalled the Lightroom app. Nothing makes any difference. I'm out of ideas.
I reported this in the community forums and after some discussion I was told to report it here as they said it seems like a bug or error in the software.