Photoshop: How do I fill an already traced object?

  • 1
  • Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
How do you fill an already traced object. I accidentally traced an object with the pen tool but didn't change it to trace shape. Is there a way to fill in the traced object without having to retrace it? I have the item traced already I just want to fill in the things I traced.
Photo of pro_chocoholic


  • 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

  • 1
Photo of Rick Shepard

Rick Shepard

  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Click on "shape" in the tool properties at the top to change it to a shape, then after that, pull the dropdown menu to the left and select "shape." From there you can fill and outline. 

Photo of Kent Messamore

Kent Messamore

  • 49 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
Another way after you have created a closed path with the pen tool is to go to the Path window and use the Path menu to select "Make selection".  A dialog comes up asking for a feather radius in pixels.  Enter your desired radius for the selection.  This turns your pen path into a selection.  You can then go to Edit -> Fill and fill with any color you have selected in the  Forground/background, or you can select a new color, or black/White/50% grey.