This conversation has been merged. Please reference the main conversation: Lightroom: Still inconsistent capture date/time for photos and videos
1. To reproduce in LR 5.2 (Windows 7 64-bit):
2. Import a photo with no EXIF, XMP, or IPTC fields.
3. In the Metadata:IPTC panel, change Date Created to 2009-04-13.
4. Note that the Metadata:Default panel shows that date as Capture Date, and that date will show under the thumbnail in Library grid view. But the image will not sort properly by capture time in Library grid view, and the smart-collection criterion "Capture Date is 2009-04-13" does not properly match the image.
5. Do Metadata > Save Metadata To File.
6. Remove the file from the catalog.
7. Examine the file's metadata with Exiftool and observe that IPTC:DateCreated and XMP:DateCreated have been set, but EXIF:DateTimeOriginal has not, even though "Guidelines for Handling Image Metadata Version 2.0" specify on page 38 that "Changes to XMP ... SHOULD be exported to Exif. ... This is also true in the case that only IPTC DateCreated is available."
8. Use Exiftool to remove XMP:DateCreated from the image, so that it now has just IPTC:DateCreated.
9. Reimport the image.
10. Note that the date is shown in the Metadata:Default panel as Capture Date and under the thumbnail in Library grid view. The image sorts properly by capture time in grid view. The smart-collection criterion "Capture Date is 2009-04-13" properly matches the image.
11. In the Metadata:IPTC panel, change Date Created to 2009-04-09.
12. Note that the Metadata:Default panel now shows Capture Date as 2009-04-09, as does the date under the Library thumbnail. But the thumbnail does not sort properly in Library view, and the smart-collection criterion "Capture Date is 2009-04-09" does not match the image.
There are no replies.