DNG conversion dies

  • 1
  • Problem
  • Updated 4 years ago
"Convert to DNG" keeps dying in two different ways:

1) The conversion hits a corrupted raw file, throws an error dialog and kills the entire conversion operation requiring me to restart it.

2) The conversion operation silently dies. I set a larger batch conversion (10k+) to run overnight and come back in the morning to an idle LR (no errors) but the conversion did not complete.

I've tried this dozens of times with the same results.

Mac Pro 2010 6-core, 24 GB ram, 480GB SSD (LR+previews+catalog) and 6TB drive with raw files. OS 10.9.3. LR 5.5
Photo of sean

sean

  • 261 Posts
  • 43 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

  • 1
Photo of Steve Sprengel

Steve Sprengel, Champion

  • 2611 Posts
  • 333 Reply Likes
For the second situation, is your computer, or one of its hardware components, going to sleep?
Photo of Rob Cole

Rob Cole

  • 4831 Posts
  • 379 Reply Likes
Are you using Adobe DNG Converter or Lightroom to do the conversion?

I assume Lightroom, but you haven't said yet..
Photo of sean

sean

  • 261 Posts
  • 43 Reply Likes
Yes, LR 5.5. No, computer does not sleep nor do I have drives spin down.
Photo of Rob Cole

Rob Cole

  • 4831 Posts
  • 379 Reply Likes
If photos are unedited, you can just use Adobe DNG Converter to do the conversion, then import in Lightroom (and remove the proprietary raws from catalog). If already edited, then you kinda hafta use Lr to do it, even if it takes multiple attempts, in order to preserve standing in collections, publish services, pick flags, edit history... - maybe Adobe will fix in future, but that doesn't help you now.

Note: If Adobe DNG Converter has same problem: aborting prior to completion, you can set up a batch file to do it using the command-line converter (or a script/plugin..).

If it's a big problem for you, I could modify UnDNG plugin to go the other way, so your externally converted DNGs take the place of your raws (UnDNG does exactly that, only raws take the place of DNGs, so maybe I should say it does the exact opposite).

Perhaps simplest solution (other than restarting until all are done I mean) is to identify the problem files before conversion, if you can figure out a way (I could probably think of some ways..).