Photoshop 19.1.6: Cloud Libraries broken since last update

  • 1
  • Problem
  • Updated 1 month ago
  • (Edited)
Last update of Adobe photoshop introduced a bug with Cloud Libraries that makes them unusable.

After a few searches the entire panel becomes unresponsive, takes minutes to process search queries and stops showing thumbnail previews.

Video of the repro here:  Screencast - Cloud Libraries bug - 21-20 10-09-2018https://monosnap.com/file/zJm9Jds2oVRaGynjBWjHYmiNAgBh4k

 

A fix for this is killing the "Adobe CEP HTML Engine" process after EACH search query, which restarts the library panel.

 

We have switched our organization to use Cloud Libraries in our pipeline, and this update basically killed it.

everting back to version 19.1 still produces the same behavior, as if the fault lies in the HTML caching engine on adobe side.went back as far as 2015.5 version - same faulty behavior across all adobe products on mutiple machines.
Photo of Michail Egorov

Michail Egorov

  • 7 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
  • frustrated

Posted 3 months ago

  • 1
Photo of Rosa

Rosa

  • 230 Posts
  • 134 Reply Likes
Photo of Michail Egorov

Michail Egorov

  • 7 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Hi Rosa,

The link seems to be for a different problem surrounding library inaccessibility, our libraries work fine, just dead slow.

Forcing the app not to update to the newest version might work, will try doing that when I have time.

TY
Photo of Max Johnson

Max Johnson, Champion

  • 495 Posts
  • 242 Reply Likes
If it's version independent, I wonder if it has to do with actual CC node instances serving up the library?

If you get the same slowdown doing searches in the Library panel in Illustrator or Animate, that would definitely point to the CC part of it instead of photoshop specifically...
(Edited)
Photo of Michail Egorov

Michail Egorov

  • 7 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
The issue persists in After Effects, Animate, Illustrator and the newly added Bridge Library Panel.
(Edited)
Photo of Hannah Nicollet

Hannah Nicollet, Quality Engineer

  • 711 Posts
  • 296 Reply Likes
Hi Michail,

Thanks for the screen capture. It helps to see what you're seeing. I'm not seeing that behavior on either Mac or Win. Can you please go to Help > System Info and copy and paste the contents of that window here in a reply or to my email below? 

Thank you,
Hannah


Photo of Michail Egorov

Michail Egorov

  • 7 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
I've sent the details to your email Hannah
(Edited)
Photo of Michail Egorov

Michail Egorov

  • 7 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes

Update for those affected.

 

I've started another topic in the family section of the forums where you can read more about the bug's journey. 

 Thanks to the Engineering Department of Adobe Creative Cloud Libraries, we've been able to debug and figure out the problem.

 

Back in beginning of September Cloud Libraries have switched their method of thumbnail generation from server side to client side. This unearthed a very old Adobe bug where some files would be saved with gigantic amounts of trash metadata, bloating the size of files that should be 40kb to over 30mb (There are several topics for this on the forums). If you try and open those metabloat files in chrome (which cloud libraries use in their panel), it would take about 30+ seconds to open. This made the panel lag very badly and search queries taking up minutes at a time as a result.

 

Now all the thumbnails that the Cloud Libraries panel have generated could have been affected by the metabloat, mind that only some files are affected.

 

You can browse the thumbnails in the C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Creative Cloud Libraries\LIBS\[hash]_AdobeID\creative_cloud\renditions folder. Search for overly large files to see if you're affected.

 

Until Adobe implements a fix for the thumbnail generator, you can use optimization tools to make the thumbnails smaller (Like PNGGauntlet). If you have a lot of libraries, you can use a small script file we've made for our team to optimize all the files at once:

Linky: File “tools.zip”

Drag your renditions (Contains png files) and dcx (contains psd and some png files) folders over the removemetadata_all.bat file and leave it working. If you have a lot of files this can take a while. I had 11058 files across 56 libraries with unoptimized thumbnail size of 7.5GB that was optimized to 564 MB

 

So far it's unknown if this temp fix is sustainable as we don't know how often thumbnails are regenerated. New items in libraries will need to be checked for metabloat as well to retain consistency. But at least the libraries are usable once again. Hurray.