Lightroom: Can't write metadata to some jpeg files

  • 4
  • Problem
  • Updated 7 years ago
  • Solved
  • (Edited)

I have 6 jpeg files that cause problems for Lightroom. They all have the following characteristics.

1) They can be read by Lightroom (added to a catalog)
2) They can be read by Photoshop CS5, exiftool, and ImageVerifier ( without any problems
3) I cannot save metadata into these files using LR 3 for Macintosh. Upon Saving Metadata I get the exclamation point showing a metadata sync error. Lightroom says "There were unknown errors while writing metadata..."

The files were all written by a Minolta camera (that I no longer have), and have been modified by having tags added to them by exiftool (recent command line version, running on Macintosh).

I have archived these files. If you would like to look at them, contact me and I can send them to you.

The files are not causing problems for me, as I have opened them in Photoshop CS 5 and saved them as fresh copies, which cause no problems for Lightroom now.
Photo of Alan Harper

Alan Harper

  • 458 Posts
  • 94 Reply Likes
  • getting on with life

Posted 9 years ago

  • 4
Photo of Stuart Kent

Stuart Kent

  • 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Just to update: this seems to have been fixed for some jpeg files in 4.3, but not all of them.

Photo of apmadoc


  • 13 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Still have the problem with 4.3 on 1000's of jpg files

I have confirmed the files are not set to read only
Photo of Stuart Kent

Stuart Kent

  • 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Appears fixed for me in 4.4
Photo of Rob Cole

Rob Cole

  • 4831 Posts
  • 392 Reply Likes
Jpeg metadata problems can be fixed using exiftool via commands like these:

exiftool -all= -tagsFromFile @ -all:all -unsafe {your-file}.jpg

If has error/warning, try -m; and if problem with maker notes -F instead of -m.

These commands are encapsulated by the "Rebuild Jpeg Metadata" preset in the MetaRep plugin. In other words, run the repair function with that preset selected and it'll probably fix your files (assuming the problem is metadata and not image data).