Lightroom 6: Assigning faces is too slow

  • 2
  • Problem
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • (Edited)
Assigning names to faces is very slow.
Right now I only have 10 unknown (?) faces left. When I enter the name and hit RETURN, it takes 25 seconds before I can do anything else. Even if I just remove the face.

I have Win7 (installed new 3 days ago), 2.67 GHz Core i7, 12GB DDR3 1600 Ram, Win/LR6 on SSD, Catalog on local HDD and raw-images on Synology-NAS (with gigabit connection). The automatic face-recognition in the background is not active.

The time it takes after assigning a name, confirm a suggested name or removing a face is not dependent on how many faces I assign at once. Even with 200 images/faces it takes about 25s to continue.
Photo of Michael Hertlein

Michael Hertlein

  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

  • 2
Photo of Michael Hertlein

Michael Hertlein

  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
After searching here in the community and worked a little more with LR6 I found out, that the number of people in the actual folder/subfolders is the problem.

When I assign names to people in a single folder with only 10 fotos it's realy fast. When I do the same on the parent folder with more than 10.000 fotos I have to wait nearly half a minute to go on.

I could accept this behavior in freeware, but not in Lightroom, that I thought is designed to handle large collections with it's database in the background.

I hope there will be an update to solve this issue, because going through every single folder/subfolder to assign people is not acceptable with some 100 folders. And what if I import new fotos? Do I have to scan each folder by myself for new faces, because otherwise it's slow again?
Photo of Walt Sorensen

Walt Sorensen

  • 46 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
I'm also seeing major performance issues in the people view. Removing or confirming a face region which results in a not responding state.

Watching the system performance I see 18% CPU use and very high disk uses.

Seems like the performance issues are mostly related to a lack if optimization or lack of GPGPU processing resulting in higher CPU use and disk related performance issues. (moving the catalog to a dedicated SSD did not help)

I have followed a recent performance recommendation to drastically increase the camera raw cache I've set my cache to the max 200GB (also on the dedicated SSD with the catalog)

IMO the performance issues are all in I/O with the disks, rather than speed it's in the simultaneous access of many files all reading information. It get's expensive to deal with limits on input/output operations can be performed per-second (IOPS)....(Multidisk Arrays – More disks in the array mean greater IOPS.) 


Here are my system specs:

 Lightroom version: CC  2015.6.1 [ 1083169 ]

License: Creative Cloud

Operating system: Windows 10

Version: 10.0

Application architecture: x64

System architecture: x64

Logical processor count: 8

Processor speed: 3.3 GHz

Built-in memory: 32717.7 MB

Real memory available to Lightroom: 32717.7 MB

Real memory used by Lightroom: 2913.0 MB (8.9%)

Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 2994.3 MB

Memory cache size: 6380.9 MB

Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 8

Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX,AVX2

System DPI setting: 96 DPI

Desktop composition enabled: Yes

Displays: 1) 1920x1200, 2) 1920x1200, 3) 1600x1200

Input types: Multitouch: No, Integrated touch: No, Integrated pen: No, External touch: No, External pen: No, Keyboard: No

 

Graphics Processor Info:

GeForce GTX 1070/PCIe/SSE2

 

Check OpenGL support: Passed

Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation

Version: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 368.81

Renderer: GeForce GTX 1070/PCIe/SSE2

LanguageVersion: 3.30 NVIDIA via Cg compiler

 

Application folder: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom (SSD drive)

Library Path: X:\Pictures\Lightroom\LR4-CATALOG\LR4-CATALOG-2-2.lrcat (SSD drive)

Settings Folder: C:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom (SSD drive)

Images are on Two other internal HDD Drives (5 drives in the system 2xSSD 3xHDD)