Skip to main content
Adobe Photoshop Family

7 Messages

 • 

150 Points

Fri, Aug 7, 2015 5:30 PM

Not a problem

Photoshop: Select pixels by clicking on thumbnail issue

Hello there,

the issue is when you Ctrl + click on the layer's thumbnail
the Photoshop will not select the soft edges in this layer ,,

Hint: ... try to fill color with a feathered rectangular marque tool
and hold Ctrl then click on the layer's thumbnail and try to delete it ..
you will see the softy edges were not selected ..

thank you .

Responses

15.1K Messages

 • 

195.8K Points

5 years ago

The soft edges were selected - or partially selected according to their opacity.
But then you removed a fraction of the color, because of the partial opacity.

The math: you have 50% red plus 50% white, then you remove 50% of the combination by filling with white. Now you have 25% red and 75% white.

Trying to load the opacity as a selection and deleting generally will not work, because of partial opacity on soft edges or antialiased edges.

So you are expecting something to work in a way that it cannot work.

7 Messages

 • 

150 Points

5 years ago

Thanks Chris for your response .

However the soft edges are in the layer that i ctrl clicked on his thumbnail ...
i didn't change the opacity or use any of selection tools on this operation .

15.1K Messages

 • 

195.8K Points

You created the soft edges when you painted in that layer with a soft edged brush.

7 Messages

 • 

150 Points

and that edges aren't belong to that layer ?

15.1K Messages

 • 

195.8K Points

Yes, they are, because you painted them in on that layer.
But Photoshop can't track how you created every pixel.
All it knows is the color of the pixel, and the value of the opacity mask. You loaded the opacity mask as a selection, then tried to delete a percentage of that color (which was already a percentage mix) -- but 50% of 50% is not zero, it is 25%.

7 Messages

 • 

150 Points

Ohh. Thanks Chris
its a new info .. i will add it to my list :D
thanks again