Skip to main content
Adobe Photoshop Family

1 Message


80 Points

Fri, May 6, 2016 5:22 PM


Photoshop: Drag elongate box and numbers pixels for sizing

Downloaded photo shop, now MS Paint crashes after one edit.  Can stick w/ photos shop but don't know how to do 2 things that are easy in paint.  First, in Paint I box a section and can drag one end to elongate it. Second, in Paint there are multiple numbers on bottom of screen showing pixels that help me size things.


15.1K Messages


195.8K Points

5 years ago

Installing Photoshop has no effect on MSPaint (or other applications).

In Photoshop, you transform the selection to transform the selection.
What do you mean " multiple numbers on bottom of screen" ?

Do you mean the size of your selection, as shown in the info palette?

187 Messages


2.6K Points

Sorry to interrupt this thread, can I directly message you Chris, I have a question for you ?

Adobe Administrator


15.5K Messages


291.8K Points

5 years ago

Use Edit > Free Transform to get a box to drag and transform.
Select Window > Info. That will show numbers for colors and sizing. The other thing to note, is while you're in transform mode, Photoshop will provide a readout next to your cursor with size information - or you can enter values in the options bar along the top of the screen while you're in transform mode.

Sr. Product Manager, Adobe Digital Imaging

86 Messages


1.2K Points

5 years ago

Are you using Photoshop, or Photoshop Elements?

In Photoshop, if you drag a marquee selection and want to elongate it, you can right-click and choose Transform Selection. That gives you a Transform bounding box, but for your selection rather than the object.

In Photoshop, open the Info panel to see what's happening to the size and rotation of an object as you transform it. You can also choose to show Transformation values, and the placement of the information next to the bounding box. That should be on by default, but it can be set to Never.

If you're in Photoshop Elements, there are likely similar functions, but I don't know what they're called or how you set Preferences for any of them. Someone else will hopefully jump in here if that's the case.