Lightroom: Remove all the rough edges around importing presets
The menu command File > Import Develop Profiles And Presets and the "+" button in the Develop Presets panel are incorrectly greyed out when there is no photo selected in Develop, and the menu command is greyed out when you're in Library.
This needlessly confuses users. A typical scenario: Install LR on a new computer, start it, try to import presets. There's no reason the user would have a photo selected or be in Develop yet.
See these threads for examples of confusion:
More generally, some of the most common, frustrating topics in the community forum are "I can't import presets" and "Where are my presets?". After two years, the rough edges still haven't been removed from the "new" presets. Just a few trivial fixes would eliminate most of the confusion:
- Enable the import commands in Library and in Develop with no photo selected (this bug).
- After the import commands finish, show a summary of what happened, distinguishing presets and profiles and telling users where each can be found:
- Presets should be displayed in the Presets panel when no photo is selected.
- When a preset is imported into a group, automatically unhide the group in the Manage Presets command.
- File > Import Develop Profiles And Presets should convert old-format .lrtemplate presets:
- Presets > + > Import Presets should convert old-format .lrtemplate presets contain in a .zip archive.
Update: Added a request to convert .lrtemplates found in .zip archives.