Skip to main content
Adobe Photoshop Family

3 Messages

 • 

140 Points

Fri, Mar 16, 2012 12:03 AM

Solved

Lightroom 4: EXIF Lens ID hand editing .xmp files

I have always edited my .xmp files with lens id info because the defaults were not always accurate. This always worked with LR. Now I have upgraded to LR4 and the exif data does not seem to be read. I try reading exif info, but it does not change in LR, even though I can open a ,xmp file and see that the data has been changed and is now correct. LR does not recognize the new info.

Responses

Official Solution

Employee

 • 

628 Messages

 • 

11.5K Points

9 years ago

Can you send me the XMP file, or post it? (madmanchan2000@yahoo.com)

3 Messages

 • 

140 Points

9 years ago

Anyone??

Employee

 • 

628 Messages

 • 

11.5K Points

9 years ago

What EXIF tag are you editing? There is a LensModel tag in EXIF 2.3 that Lr reads.

7 Messages

 • 

136 Points

9 years ago

Eric, I have the same sort of problem. I use a Sony A77 and have an extreme version of the problem. Most lenses get given a sort of 'Adobe' name which is sometimes close enough. However, i use a commandline tool called alphalensinfo to generate .xmp sidecars before I import the raw files into LR. This tool uses a personalised lens table and uses the Sony Lens ID and various other bits of lens data to uniquely identify a lens and write a personalised "proper" lens name.

I say my problem is "extreme" in that when I use my manual, unchipped Samyang 8mm lens, I generate the .xmp files then import the photos. LR4ignores the lens name and just gives it the lens name "----". In LR3.x, the same .xmp results in the lens name showing as "Samyang 8mm F3.5 Fisheye", as expected. It's just LR4 that is giving me problems.

In LR4, if I choose "Save metadata to files" and re-examine the xmp file, it has changed aux:Lens back to "----".

Here's a sample of the contents of one of the .xmp files generated by AlphaLensInfo.

Samyang 8mm F3.5 Fisheye

7 Messages

 • 

136 Points

9 years ago

I've sent you one just a moment ago! Amusingly, I tried posting it in my post above but the forum app stripped it out, leaving only the words "Samyang 8mm F3.5 Fisheye

Cheers

3 Messages

 • 

140 Points

9 years ago

Interesting. Thank you both for responding. Interestingly, I am also using a Sony A77. However, I didn't have any trouble with earlier versions of LR. It was only after LR4 upgrade that I've had a problem.

Eric, I don't see a LensModel tag within xmp. I modify the lensID tag and always have. These are the only tags I see that mention "lens".

aux:LensInfo="160/10 500/10 28/10 28/10"
aux:Lens="DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM"
aux:LensID="63"

I'll send you a full xmp file. Thank you for investigating.

4 Messages

 • 

102 Points

9 years ago

This issue is being discussed in several places: it's definitely a problem/undocumented change in LR4.
At the moment, I fixed it modifying the sqlite database -- not that I liked it.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4300834

7 Messages

 • 

136 Points

8 years ago

Is there any update on this? LR4 is definitely doing something different to LR3.x.

There is quite a long thread on www.dyxum.com (Sony/Minolta user site) discussing this. Perhaps there is some useful info for the LR developers? Here's the URL.

link to Dyxum thread last page.

Employee

 • 

628 Messages

 • 

11.5K Points

8 years ago

Unfortunately I have not yet had a chance to address this.

64 Messages

 • 

894 Points

8 years ago

Actually, the cause of the problem is well understood by some users. I hope it is well understood by Adobe too, but otherwise I will give a summary:

1. The lens description can exist in at least two different tags in a raw file:
Exif:LensModel and XMP:Lens

2. If both tags are present, LR 4 will give Exif:LensModel higher priority than XMP:Lens.

3. Exif:LensModel cannot be written to a sidecar xmp file.

1+2+3: If a camera creates an Exif:LensModel tag with wrong content, there is no way to override it and get the correct content into LR4 by writing the correct content into an xmp sidecar file. Then only option (besides manipulating the LR4 catalog) is deleting or modifying the Exif:LensModel in the raw file, and a lot of us certainly don't want to do that.

This is very annoying, since a lot of third party lenses for the Sony platform (I don't know about other platforms) need some kind of manual correction of the lens name because lens manufacturers reuse old Lens IDs.

The simple fix would of course be to give higher priority to XMP:Lens. And if that has some unwanted results, then at least make this priority:
1. XMP:Lens written in an xmp sidecar file.
2. Exif:LensModel written in the raw file.
3. XMP:Lens written in the raw file.

1 Message

 • 

60 Points

8 years ago

Another simple, partial fix:

Have Lightroom ignore Exif:LensModel (0xA434) if it only contains "----"
(and/or perform some other validation checks)

Then XMP-aux:Lens, in image file or sidecar file, would be next to be used.

64 Messages

 • 

894 Points

8 years ago

That would be a very partial fix. So partial that it would be unusable to me.

My lenses do not show up as "----" in Exif:LensModel, but I still need/want to change their description.

Employee

 • 

628 Messages

 • 

11.5K Points

8 years ago

I will fix this, but unfortunately it will not make the cut for ACR 7.1 / LR 4.1.

7 Messages

 • 

136 Points

8 years ago

Eric,

This seems to be fixed in LR4.2 RC1. Thanks!

Employee

 • 

628 Messages

 • 

11.5K Points

8 years ago

Great! Enjoy. :-)