adrian_lambert_bc63gtv9cp04n's profile

5 Messages

 • 

172 Points

Sun, Sep 17, 2017 10:20 PM

Issue with batch file renaming

When batch renaming files in lightroom using the contents of the title field, I get an underscore added at the end of the content that I cannot remove.

Responses

Champion

 • 

2.4K Messages

 • 

38.7K Points

4 y ago

I can't duplicate this issue on Windows 7 with LR CC 2015.1.2. What version of LR are you using? Can you provide screenshots showing the Filename Template Editor and Metadata panel items used for renaming the file with the resultant filename as shown below. Just trying to see if you've overlooked something.


5 Messages

 • 

172 Points

4 y ago

Thanks for responding Todd. I think it's a false alarm though. I tried it again a few times and no sign of the underscore anymore. In the meantime since I was seeing this I quit and restarted the app. It might be useful for me to mention that when I discovered the issue, it was just after installing a plugin called search and replace that manipulates metadata text. I wonder if something got temporarily con-fuddled? Either way it's fine now. I'll report back if i see it happen again.

Champion

 • 

6.6K Messages

 • 

110.2K Points

4 y ago

Perhaps you had a space at the end of the your file naming template. I've seen it before at the beginning.

Victoria Bampton a.k.a. The Lightroom Queen

www.lightroomqueen.com

Author of Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ and Adobe Lightroom - Edit Like a Pro books.

Champion

 • 

2.4K Messages

 • 

38.7K Points

4 y ago

Good catch! Apparently a space at the end of the filename template is replaced with an underscore even if that is not selected in LR Preferences.


5 Messages

 • 

172 Points

4 y ago

Looks like that was the most likely reason. Thanks to all.

2 Messages

 • 

70 Points

4 y ago

I use, Batch Rename Files Tool. You can easily found hier go to google and type BatchRenameFiles and check the first result that allows you to quickly rename all the files in a specified directory.

1.3K Messages

 • 

22.5K Points

Using external file renaming tools is not recommended when the files are already in Lightroom. It can lead to the loss of work.

5 Messages

 • 

172 Points

Yep, tried that too. If you rename the xmp files as well it's not too bad if you stick to catalog agnostic settings like ratings etc. If you flag images those flags will be lost. There's probably a more extensive list of what you lose and what you keep somewhere but I've not tested it. 

What is working for me albeit takes a few extra click and costs a few quid is a plugin which haha, I've just looked up and can see that the crafty fisherman who's comment appears above mine is actually the author of! 

The concept is that you ingest the filename into an IPTC field ( I use "title" so I'll refer to that from here on). Then using JB's search & replace plugin you can batch rename there using tools like find and replace to manipulate the filename to suit. Usually with me its a spelling error and that's a real PITA to resolve in LR alone. Once you're corrected the "title" field to contain the filename that you'd like, you can use the LR Rename function to take the "title" field and overwrite the document's filename. (I've found it very useful to have a copy of the original filename somewhere in IPTC BTW)

Thanks JB btw, great plugin. It saved my bum several times this month alone!