Skip to main content
Adobe Photoshop Family

1 Message


70 Points

Sun, Jul 3, 2011 2:17 AM

How do I change the color of an object in a photograph?

Years ago (when the 3.5 disk ruled the world) there was a program called Splash. I don't remember if it was Adobe. The feature that it had and I've been looking for it since is that you could highlight a portion of the screen and using sliding bars you could tweak the color of something, or even change it all together, i.e. someone in the picture was wearing a brown shirt, you cold use the bars to change the shirt to green or even white. Is there still a program with this function, or could you maybe make it a feature? I have several projects that I could really use it on.


15.1K Messages


195.8K Points

10 years ago

That sounds like the Replace Color Adjustment in Photoshop, or using quick select to mask an area then any adjustment to change the color.

Adobe Administrator


15.8K Messages


295K Points

10 years ago

Adobe Photoshop, Photoshop Elements and Lightroom can all accomplish this task.

Photoshop: how to change color of an object

Sr. Product Manager, Adobe Digital Imaging

513 Messages


11.1K Points

10 years ago

Lightroom can only do it if you don't mind that any other occurrence of the colour in the image will change as well.

In other words, in Lightroom the adjustment cannot be confined to a local area.

You might vote on the feature request that asks for HSL controls to be added to the adjustment brush.



1.4K Messages


24.5K Points

10 years ago

You can apply color to a specific area using the Adjustment Brush to a degree. Every adjustment effect has the ability to be used in conjunction with a color tint that is selected by clicking the color swatch at the bottom of the Adjustment Brush dialog.

If the area is already strongly colored, you may have more limited control than using Photoshop's HSL adjustment layer (or equivalent). It is easy, for example, to make a white shirt red but hard to make a red shirt blue.