When LR 3.4 writes metadata, it is writing the wrong time zone into XMP:MetadataDate, using a "+" rather than a "-". For example, I'm in PDT (UTC-7:00), but LR writes the following value:
A number of others have noticed this and wondered whether it has anything to do with LR's problems in spurious "Metadata needs to be updated" notifications; for example, see:
A sample image:
Could you provide some information regarding specifically what your steps are in Lightroom? In the simple case at least, I don't see this problem. Here's what I'm doing:
1. Verify that my system timezone is set to PDT (UTC -7:00).
2. Import a JPEG into Lightroom. The DateTimeOriginal (Exif tag #36867) is "2011:05:09 09:07:35?00?"
3. Select the imported JPEG in the Library in Lightroom and choose Metadata>Save Metadata to File.
4. Examine the metadata in the file using a tool such as Exiftool.
Result: xmp:MetadataDate = "2011-05-13T16:48:40-07:00" This is what I would expect. Perhaps there are other operations that are necessary in order to make the bug manifest?
To the best of my knowledge, EXIF timestamps never contain timezone info. I'm not positive that's true, I'm basing that statement on the Metadata Working Group spec which says, "Exif date/time values such as DateTimeOriginal do not contain time zone information."
Regardless, the EXIF timestamp in the file I used in my test had no timezone.
The EXIF spec doesn't allow for timezones, but I've seen some files that have them stuffed in anyway. Your notes above say "The DateTimeOriginal is ..." with some stuff that doesn't map to ASCII properly but appears to be long enough to include a timezone, which is what made me think of it.
CHAMP0Here's how I've replicated the problem:
1. Configuration: LR 3.4, Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
2. Verify clock set to UTC-8 (see screenshot below).
3. Make a new catalog.
4. Remove all metadata from p.jpg (attached below) with:
exiftool -all:all= p.jpg
5. Import p.jpg.
6. Add a caption in the Metadata pane.
7. Metadata > Save Metadata To File
8. Examine the metadata with Photoshop Elements 8 File > Info, and on the Advanced tab see xmp:MetadataDate containing a "+7:00" rather than "-7:00":
8. Examine the metadata with exiftool and observe that XMP:MetadataDate has a "+7:00" rather than "-7:00":
C:\Users\Ellis\Desktop\test pics>exiftool -a -G -s p.jpg
[ExifTool] ExifToolVersion : 8.25
[File] FileName : p.jpg
[File] Directory : .
[File] FileSize : 987 kB
[File] FileModifyDate : 2011:05:14 07:30:44-07:00
[File] FilePermissions : rw-rw-rw-
[File] FileType : JPEG
[File] MIMEType : image/jpeg
[File] ExifByteOrder : Big-endian (Motorola, MM)
[File] CurrentIPTCDigest : 08e4c683387bba4d1884d4f0729495
[File] ImageWidth : 2560
[File] ImageHeight : 1920
[File] EncodingProcess : Baseline DCT, Huffman coding
[File] BitsPerSample : 8
[File] ColorComponents : 3
[File] YCbCrSubSampling : YCbCr4:2:2 (2 1)
[EXIF] ImageDescription : Caption for p.jpg
[EXIF] Orientation : Horizontal (normal)
[EXIF] ExifVersion : 0221
[XMP] XMPToolkit : Adobe XMP Core 5.2-c004 1.1368
[XMP] MetadataDate : 2011:05:14 07:30:44.017+07:00
[XMP] RawFileName : p.jpg
[XMP] Description : Caption for p.jpg
[IPTC] CodedCharacterSet : UTF8
[IPTC] ApplicationRecordVersion : 4
[IPTC] Caption-Abstract : Caption for p.jpg
[Photoshop] IPTCDigest : 08e4c683387bba4d1884d4f0729495
[Composite] ImageSize : 2560x1920
Problem importing photos to Lightroom from Canon 5D Mark 11 (plus Mark 1). Lightroom imports with tomorrow's date, cameras are set correctly as is PC. Disqualified from competitions because of this (photos appeared to be shot after closing date) . Please help.
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
Lightroom 3 always imports photos to date a day ahead.