The shape tool has been overly simplified in the CS6 revision:
1. There needs to be a more efficient way of selecting shape tool mode. Toggling with a key command through all of them until you find the one you need (square and ellipse are the most needed)
2. Align tools for shapes need similar expansion. Collapsed in a menu on the wide options panel adds significant time to access and multiple menu launches to align and then combine shapes. CS5 used to have these tools expanded in the options panel. Illustrator has a discreet panel for it.
3. Selection with a right click over shape layers lacks precision. The application consistently auto selects a shape layer that is 10 or more pixels away from the location clicked. Usually this is a layer higher in the layer order than the layer desired for selection.
4. The square icon that represents shape layer in the layer palette occludes the layer preview almost entirely with the "Layer bounds" view setting enabled. The CS5 motif was more efficient.
5. The new color dropdown in the options panel for applying fills to shapes is interesting, but the cursor should convert to an eyedropper for selecting colors off the document itself instead of relying exclusively on palette swatches. A click on the 'rainbow' swatch allows this, but adds additional precision mouse moves and clicks to every use.